John's Reviews > The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Books V-VII

The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956 by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

2095414
Jan 30, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from January 29 to February 07, 2011

The first half of the final volume of the Gulag Archipelago reads like "The Great Escape." Much of the first section of the book is devoted to chronicling many escape attempts, and attempted escape attempts of those in the labor camps. These are thrilling adventures and are fun and exhilarating to read. There is also an extended portion about a prison camp that scared off the guards for forty days, formed its own government, and functioned apart from the camp administration. All the while the army was preparing for a Waco-type siege and attack. Again--thrilling stuff.

The portion on exile is good as well. This is another great piece of work by Solzhenitsyn and is well worth reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956.

Quotes John Liked

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
“It is in the nature of the human being to seek a justification for his actions.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation V-VII

11/10/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by Jessika (new)

Jessika i notice there are 7 volumes. i am on 1. do they all offer something different?

John The volumes are all contained within the three books published in English.

Yes, they are all different. Each volume traces a different element of the Gulag. Keep going--I think the last book might be the best. It contains a number of escapes and rebellions that are treasures.

message 3: by Jessika (new)

Jessika Thanks. I figured that out the other day and ordered volume II. Hard to find the 3rd one at a decent price. But I must say, you can get a signed copy of one for around $2,000 if my memory serves me righyt.

John I read my copies through my local library. I'm low on shelf space the way it is. Adding these three books to my shelf isn't really an option for me, unfortunately.

message 5: by Jessika (new)

Jessika I am running out of shelf space too. I have 4 big book cases. I need to stop buying books for a while, but then we are having a library book sale and I sort for the sale and buy what I find I like, and now I am really out of shelves.