Piyangie's Reviews > Deception Point

Deception Point by Dan Brown

liked it
bookshelves: own-library

I am a loyal fan of Dan Brown and am proud to say that I have read all his books except for the Angels & Demons which I hope to read in the near future. My first read of his work was The Da Vinci Code and from that point there was no stopping of reading his works.

Mr. Brown is an amazing story teller. In his books he combines actual historical incidents, historical institutions, secret societies that were and are in operation, secret government institution, agencies etc., with outstanding plot lines which give the stories an air of genuineness.

My first reaction to Deception Point was that it has no codes! Dan Brown, the master of codes has indeed written a book without codes! Interesting!

The book is woven around NASA’s discovery of a meteorite containing fossils claiming evidence of extraterrestrial life, the effect of this finding on U.S national space policy and future of NASA, the impending U.S presidential election, a daring scientific trickery and an astonishing deception.
NASA discovers a meteorite which contains fossils that produces evidence of extraterrestrial life. On President’s instructions four expert civilian scientists, including the charismatic oceanographer Michael Tolland and White House Intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton sets out to NASA finding site at Milne Ice Shelf in the Arctic to verify the authenticity of the NASA finding. The team unravels however that NASA’s claim is false and a disturbing deception has taken place. But before they can alert the relevant authorities, a mysterious team of assassins follow their trails with a fierce determination to kill. The events take place thereafter unfolds a thrilling story line and concludes with some shocking revelations.

The book is quite informative with all research well done. The story line is thrilling. The female protagonist, Rachel Sexton was well portrayed to make her so believable. She is a woman with a strong mind yet she has her own fears which show that she is real, almost human. Her hatred towards her father given his history of infidelity which indirectly caused her mother’s death is almost natural. The male protagonist too has been given equal strength in the book which I found quite refreshing. I am always amazed by Mr. Brown’s ability to develop the characters so well that you feel they are so real and close to your heart. The book also subtly touches on political maneuverings to hold power/ to get in to power which is all too common anywhere in the world.

However, I felt that although there were a female and a male protagonist, the other characters were also equally strong and because of that the strength attached to the main characters were quite diminished. And also the NASA finding and its deception and the political maneuvering described in the book although was meant as part of the story, I felt the political maneuvering part as a sub plot to the main story line which kind of hindered the smooth flow of the main story. But these minor blemishes did not stop me from enjoying this enthralling tale.

All in all good research, good story line, fair character built and good suspense. Yet another interesting work by Dan Brown.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception Point.

Started Reading