Jennifer's Reviews > The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

9420458

liked it
bookshelves: 2015-coffee-books-challenge, chick-lit

"The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend" is a book built around books and the people who love them. It's about the power of books to build friendships, repair broken hearts, set dreams aloft, and change prejudices. It's a book that had so much promise, but for me ultimately fell short of the perfect "sweet spot" nice and cozy little story.

Sara is a young Swedish woman who is pen pals with elderly Amy of Broken Wheel, Iowa -- a small down-of-it's luck town hit hard by the recession. Despite having never met in person, they develop a solid friendship, and bond over a love of books. When the bookshop Sara works at closes, she decides the time is finally right to visit Amy in the USA. Unfortunately, she arrives in town at the exact moment Amy's funeral is taking place (not a spoiler -- this all takes place in the first chapter).

The residents of Broken Wheel know all about Sara from Amy's letters, and embrace her arrival. They insist that she stay, if she wishes, and welcome her with open arms. Sara soon makes friends with those in town, but is dismayed to learn that Amy was the only one in town who enjoyed reading. Sara tries to remedy this situation by opening up a bookstore in one of the many shuttered storefronts in town, and stocking the store with Amy's voluminous collection of books.

True to form, each of the side characters in the book fits a role you can probably guess -- recovering alcoholic, uptight Christian lady, town busybody, handsome single guy, etc.

The book's whole premise relies on Sara feeling like she "belongs" in the town, and like it's "home"; the townspeople feeling like she belongs there; and a love story. Despite nearly 400 pages (which definitely felt like it was dragging at times), some of these connections just felt weak to me. I definitely wasn't getting "the feels" and so the book wasn't quite as satisfying as it could have been.

Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Landmark for a galley of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend.

November 18, 2015 – Started Reading
November 18, 2015 – Shelved
November 23, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 24, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-coffee-books-challenge
November 24, 2015 – Shelved as: chick-lit

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Angela M Really good review , Jennifer . Now I have to decide whether to read it !

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen Thanks Jennifer - I'm with Angela on this one...Angela, I'll wait for your review before adding :)

Cathrine ☯️ I'll stay behind Angela & Jen :)