VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Black Magic Sanction

Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

Jan 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: vampires, urban-fantasy, comedy, adventure, elves, witches, demons, fae, paranormal-romance

I enjoyed this book much more than the previous installment, however I think I would have been happier had Harrison stretched plot out over two books instead of dragging it out in book 7 (which I can hardly remember anything important happening) and then cramming a million and one things into this book. On one hand it is fast paced which I like, but on another it's a big mess.

I am with the lot that does NOT like Pierce. I had Gary Stu vibes at the beginning which raised flags but it only got worse and worse as the book progressed as he got more and more clingy and now I can stand him less and less. He is officially the least tolerable boyfriend. He has to be at Rachel's side every second and it's nauseating. He has a lot of knowledge, but just leave it at that. Maybe I could stand her other boyfriends better because they weren't on every freakin' page. Kisten I loved to vampy bits though, rest is double dead soul. It is a sad day when I can say I preferred Nick!! Why is it that Rachel's boyfriends (save for Kisten) have 0 chemistry with her? Kisten could make chemistry with a cardboard cut out, so he just might be an exception to anything.

I really hope Harrison limits Pierce's presence significantly in the next books because after a while I found myself skimming and outright skipping pages that involved him...which was a lot. I was enjoying the book 20 times more when he wasn't there. I'm just not feeling the retcon of how he gets dibs so fast because he was "there all along." Especially at the expense of Ivy looking cool. She was such an afterthought in this book and that was a real shame.

-----SPOILER------
I don't know about anybody else, but I was EXTREMELY disappointed that Pierce was the one to go with Rachel in Jenks' time of need instead of Ivy. That was Ivy's place, not his and it angered me a lot. It's a very private time that should be shared with those CLOSEST to that person and Pierce does not fit the bill. I was really disgusted by that.
-----SPOILER------

Of course, I am a huge Trent fan so I enjoyed seeing him a bit more in this book than the last. I hear book 9 should be a real treat for us, so I am looking forward to it! There were definitely some priceless scenes here. I was glad we got a glimpse into their past as well. They have their own bond that is complicated and hard to explain, but it's oh so important at the same time! Definitely liked what I saw here as a Trent fan and a Trent/Rachel fan. I do hope they explore a relationship at some point. (next book please please please please please)

And of course, Al has completely stolen the show. I would have never thought around book 1 that I would ever want to see Rachel and Al together, but by golly I wouldn't mind it now!! I love Trent/Rachel and Al/Rachel. I still like Trent/Rachel a bit more (probably because I have liked them since book 1), but way to turn on the heat with Al!! I started to like him a bit more in WWBC (probably because there wasn't much else to like in that book), but here he really began to stand out. I couldn't help but enjoy him knocking Pierce around like a rag doll.

So all in all, there were times I loved the book, and then times I hated it, so I will have to give it a 2.5 and round up to 3. One star for Trent and one star for Al. The plot being all over the place knocks it down half a star, and then Pierce knocks it down 2 more. Books 3 and 6 are still my favorites. Here's hoping book 9 can bring it back to that 5-star mark that I know, love and miss with this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Magic Sanction.

Quotes VampireNovelFan Liked

Kim Harrison
“He sighed. "You want to live in your church, going about your life as if you're like everyone else."
"So?"
"You aren't. And because of that, someday you're probably going to find yourself in a position where your choices will have an impact far beyond what you see right now. And when that happens, I want you to remember what it's like to ride through the woods on horseback under a night sky with no moon and nothing stronger than you are. I want you to know so you will fight for it. So that my children will know of it. You have to keep the demons where they are, Rachel. No one else can do it. You won't fight for us unless you know. Let me show you what you're fighting for.”

Kim Harrison
“Uh... ," Ivy stammered, and I glanced up to see her eyes wide in consideration.
"I'm kidding," I said. "It passed the lethal-amulet test, remember?"
"Not that. You keep it in your underwear drawer?"
I hesitated, wondering why I was embarrassed. "Well, where do you put your elven magic?" I asked.”

Kim Harrison
“Memories of ice and Trent surfaced, and I wrapped my arms around my middle. I had saved him, and he had saved me. What was wrong with us?”

January 30, 2011 – Shelved
December 2, 2011 – Shelved as: demons
January 1, 2012 – Shelved as: fae
January 1, 2012 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance
January 9, 2014 –
17.0% "That Lux book, Origin, reminds me of this."
January 10, 2014 –
30.0% "Pierce is a little more bearable. Hmm wonder why :P."
January 10, 2014 –
46.0% ""One night, itchy witch, you'll come to me." - This was a really good Al book. I was honestly entertaining the idea around this time..."
January 12, 2014 –
70.0% "Brooke rasped, "Filthy demon sexpot."\n "Sexpot!" I exclaimed, affronted. "I have never had sex with Al!" Al sighed. "More's the pity," he said, eying me. "You'd really enjoy yourself."\n I took a step back, wiping my hand on my jeans. "Not happening.""
Started Reading
January 13, 2014 –
86.0% "Ugh. Not a fan of this sex scene."
January 13, 2014 –
92.0% "I was absolutely naked and in front of rolling video cameras. I didn't want to think about the Internet in two hours' time. God, my mother...\n Trent stared, his one look down and up making me flush. "What the devil are you doing, Rachel?" he said as I snatched his speech from the podium and tried to cover myself."
January 13, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I'm not done yet so I only read part of your review, but:

OH my God, yes! I kept think: fuck the hell off.
Granted, with the ploy to be her babysitter he couldn't really leave her side, but now he's going into Jenks' stump with her? While Jenks doesn't even like him??? What?!?

message 2: by Miakoda (new) - added it

Miakoda Amen!

message 3: by Miakoda (new) - added it

Miakoda And more to the point I understand she felt the need to kill off big K --- but maybe she should have sent him away instead? Damn all these other guys just do not measure up. Trent and Al are much better chemistry and you are right, even as much as I despise Nick he was less annoying.

Marshal was milquetoast and spot on with the retcon comment and Pierce.

VampireNovelFan :-). Hope you keep reading, Miakoda. Things look up!

message 5: by Miakoda (new) - added it

Miakoda Oh I will, I am obsessive, I just came here to fuss. Thank you for the reply. I plan on taking a long trip so these books will be filling the void. I am sure I'll find out what happens next.

I forgot about Ivy too! I am sad that it's been will we/won't we and its nice to have a bi pairing since we don't see it much in the genre. I don't mind extending it out over the books but it is kinda sad the way its gone.

Hopefully like you said things look up :)

VampireNovelFan Miakoda wrote: "Oh I will, I am obsessive, I just came here to fuss. Thank you for the reply. I plan on taking a long trip so these books will be filling the void. I am sure I'll find out what happens next.

I for..."

No problem. I honestly am not the biggest Rachel/Ivy fan since the back and forth irritates me a lot with that ship (though I liked the idea in the first couple of books before Kisten), but yeah I she should sh*t or get off the pot on that one.

message 7: by Miakoda (new) - added it

Miakoda Right. I don't like the implementation *at all* I just liked the concept. But now yea, I am sad. I just cannot stand where we are with the romance dept. right now at all and then Rachel is making bad decisions and whining about her career as usual!

Are you reading any other series at the moment? I'll probably need another beside this one, heh.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Hmm, somehow I had never read your review for this book. Of course, you already know that I agree with you on pretty much everything with this series. :)

You know, twice now I've tried to read this book in its entirety without skimming but I just can't do it. I totally blame Pierce too.

VampireNovelFan LOL! You're a trooper, Veronica!

VampireNovelFan Miakoda wrote: "Right. I don't like the implementation *at all* I just liked the concept. But now yea, I am sad. I just cannot stand where we are with the romance dept. right now at all and then Rachel is making b..."

I am reading the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead. Then I'm going to read the new Kate Daniels. And then the last Lux book comes out too. I am stacked for a little bit, lol.

message 11: by Miakoda (new) - added it

Miakoda I haven't read Bloodlines (just Vampire Academy), maybe I'll get it. I haven't heard of Lux. Thanks for the suggestions.

message 12: by Miakoda (new) - added it

Miakoda Sigh. I am reading even further -- her whining about killing assassins/killers even worse! So help me Tink, there is a level of crazy here.....I would switch to another series for a bit if I felt like getting caught up.

VampireNovelFan Miakoda wrote: "Sigh. I am reading even further -- her whining about killing assassins/killers even worse! So help me Tink, there is a level of crazy here.....I would switch to another series for a bit if I felt l..."

Pale Demon is sooo much better.

And I love Bloodlines but didn't care for Vampire Academy that much.

message 14: by Miakoda (new) - added it

Miakoda Seriously. Thanks for the suggestions and the pep talk. I can't really do anything but read at the moment so I am stuck with this lol. =) I downloaded Bloodlines I will get started on that next I think. And I will trudge through this book.

I <3 Al right now.

VampireNovelFan Al's the best.