Ron's Reviews > A Scanner Darkly

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

bookshelves: sci-fi, suspense-thriller

3.5 stars rounded to 4 after the epilogue.

One day I figure out all of a Philip K. Dick novel. Ah, who am I kidding, lol. Truthfully, I like the challenge. Love the ideas. The guy was brilliant. But let me tell you, some of the situations and conversations I experienced in this book could possibly be the wildest I’ve come across – since reading my last Dick novel. In an epilogue, he offers his reason for writing A Scanner Darkly. It is poignant to say the least. He adds that there is no moral to his story. With drugs, there are only consequences. He tells this from personal experience. “I am not a character in the novel. I am the novel.” Maybe no moral, but definitely a message: Drugs take no prisoners. Fittingly, he named the drug in this book “Substance D” - death for short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scanner Darkly.

November 18, 2015 – Shelved
November 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 6, 2017 – Started Reading
November 6, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
November 6, 2017 – Shelved as: suspense-thriller
November 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Nat (new)

Nat K Good review Ron, you make me want to start reading Philip K. Dick's works.

message 2: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Nat wrote: "Good review Ron, you make me want to start reading Philip K. Dick's works."

That's great to hear Nat, and thank you! If you get the chance, check out "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Strange name. Good book.

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn C. Nice review, Ron :)

message 4: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Marilyn wrote: "Nice review, Ron :)"

Hi Marilyn and thank you!

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances A great review Ron! I haven't read this author before; his books sound interesting!! 🌷🌷

message 6: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Frances wrote: "A great review Ron! I haven't read this author before; his books sound interesting!! 🌷🌷"

Thank you Frances! He wrote a lot of very interesting sci-fi, which is a good change of pace for me. Some have been adapted into movies that I bet you'd heard of. :)

message 7: by Frances (new)

Frances Ron wrote: "Frances wrote: "A great review Ron! I haven't read this author before; his books sound interesting!! 🌷🌷"

I checked out his books and haven't heard of any that were movies Ron. But what is "very" strange - I was just setting up shows to record tonight and guess what .... I found a new show on the space channel; It's "Philip K. Dick, Electric Dreams"! Amazing!! I'll let you know how it plays out - looking forward to it. {So very funny}!!

message 8: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Frances wrote: "Ron wrote: "Frances wrote: "A great review Ron! I haven't read this author before; his books sound interesting!! 🌷🌷"

Isn't it funny how those things happen Frances?! Love that. I didn't even know there was a Space Channel, but that show "Electric Dreams" is also coming to Amazon TV next year - looking forward to it too. A few movies based off his books are Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report.

message 9: by Frances (new)

Frances Ron wrote: "Frances wrote: "Ron wrote: "Frances wrote: "A great review Ron! I haven't read this author before; his books sound interesting!! 🌷🌷"

Thank you Frances! He wrote a lot of very interesting sci-fi, w..."

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Nicely reviewed Ron.

message 11: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Frances wrote: "I had no idea about Blade Runner and Total Recall - loved those movies. Hoping to view his new one just recorded Ron. Our space channel is 271 (in Canada; probably different in the US)."

I unplugged my cable some time ago, but let me know what you think Frances. Hope it's good!

message 12: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Maureen wrote: "Nicely reviewed Ron."

Thank you Maureen!

message 13: by Frances (new)

Frances Ron wrote: "Frances wrote: "I had no idea about Blade Runner and Total Recall - loved those movies. Hoping to view his new one just recorded Ron. Our space channel is 271 (in Canada; probably different in the ..."

message 14: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Frances wrote: "Unfortunately I wasn't 'wowed' Ron. Let me know your thoughts once viewed via Amazon."

Bummer Frances. I looked at online reviews, and they're not so good. Well, I will check it out when it comes around. Good thing we read books that are better! :)

message 15: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Maddie wrote: "Excellent review, Ron :)"

Thank you Maddie!