Lauren Librarian's Reviews > The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King

Jan 29, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

With a complex and interesting plot, this story is a truly captivating read. A mix of historical pirate lore and modern teen drama, King does a fantastic job of drawing in the reader with her characters. Since Emer/Saffron was a dog 100 lifetimes, that dog shows through as a character too. There is something very cartoonish and comical about the repeated violence. Saffron has the former life of the pirate in her brain fantasizing about gouging people's eyes out and hitting them with their own sliced off limbs.

My local library doesn't have a copy of this book. The reason why it's hard to get ahold of this book, I believe, has nothing to do with the violence. I've seen worse violence in mainstream YA books like Crank, City of Bones, or Twilight. There is some brief homosexual content, including a small aside where a dog exhibits homosexual behavior (with another dog). The two page aside is meant to explain that homosexuality can be seen in the animal kingdom (thereby offering the theory that it's a inborn quality rather than a disease that can be cured). The sexual content is really tame (mostly implied and not at all graphic). The homosexual content is really tame.

This author recently won the Printz award for her book Please Ignore Vera Dietz. I thought that book was gorgeously written and well-deserving of an award. The author's first book is just as good. Don't be ignorant and close-minded about the content. The messages in this book are all good for teenagers and give a realistic viewpoint of interactions between people. The strongest message is for women to stand up for themselves and be undefeated by the ignorance in a world dominated by men. The book left me with a wonderful feeling of hope. I couldn't put it down after I was half-way through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dust of 100 Dogs.