Karl's Reviews > Parker: The Hunter

Parker by Richard Stark

1935255

bookshelves: 2015-11-books-bought, favorites
Read 2 times. Last read November 18, 2015 to November 20, 2015.

This is not a graphic novel. It is the Richard Stark novel that includes eight or nine full page illustrations by Darwyn Cooke.

I can not recommend this book highly enough.

Not is it a great example of great writing by Mr. Westlake, it is also an amazingly well produced book. Beautifully bound in leather and cloth, with extraordinary end papers and utilizing heavy paper stock, this is a treat for any lover of fine quality book making.

If you have not read this book there is a part of your reading life that is not complete.

I read the original years ago, I could not pass up this new version with illustrations by Darwyn Cooke. It's beautifully produced.

IDW have also produced a graphic novel of this first installment of the Parker series. The name and description are quite similar. Be aware.

IDW have promised the next installment of the series is to be published soon by them. I can only hope this is so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parker.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
October 21, 2013 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 17, 2015 – Shelved
November 19, 2015 –
page 128
November 20, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 11, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim That looks interesting. I've read most of the Parker books & loved them.

Karl I believe this was the first, however more so this is a beautifully produced book. Worth seeking out.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim It is the first & was originally supposed to be the only. Parker died at the end, but the editor liked Parker too much & had him change it.

Karl Jim wrote: "It is the first & was originally supposed to be the only. Parker died at the end, but the editor liked Parker too much & had him change it."

Thank you, I did know the story behind the book, Darwin Cooke explains it also in the introduction to this edition, I'm a huge Westlake fan and I have read all of the "Parkers" years prior, so it's nice re-reading them. Especially in such beautiful editions done on such great paper. It makes me want to read them all again.

message 5: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim So far I've read the first three books in the series, and Stark/Westlake created the perfect anti-hero in Parker. Hard-boiled at it's finest!
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get ahold of the next book in the series, The Mourner.

Karl Tim wrote: "So far I've read the first three books in the series, and Stark/Westlake created the perfect anti-hero in Parker. Hard-boiled at it's finest!
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get ahold of the..."

--You have immaculate tastes Tim ! --

message 7: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Karl wrote: "Tim wrote: "So far I've read the first three books in the series, and Stark/Westlake created the perfect anti-hero in Parker. Hard-boiled at it's finest!
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get ..."

Thanks Karl!

Honestly I just love to read a lot, and have picked up on most of the books I've read over the last few years from people that I follow and friends I've found here at GR (like you!)
I appreciate you having sent the friend invite, and am glad we share common interests in many of our reading selections.

Karl Tim wrote: "Karl wrote: "Tim wrote: "So far I've read the first three books in the series, and Stark/Westlake created the perfect anti-hero in Parker. Hard-boiled at it's finest!
Thanks for reminding me that I..."

-- I'm impressed that you are currently reading seven books, the most that I can manage is three at a time or else I loose track of the little details within the stories, So my hats off to you ! --

message 9: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Sometimes I get a little out of hand, just finished one I started 5 months ago, others I read in a day, so it can be a bit misleading. Kindle only makes it worse, and some kind people here have shared ebooks with me as well. I'm at the library right now grabbing four more.. I might need a support group if this keeps up ;-)

message 10: by Karl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karl Tim wrote: "Sometimes I get a little out of hand, just finished one I started 5 months ago, others I read in a day, so it can be a bit misleading. Kindle only makes it worse, and some kind people here have sha..."

-- I'm impressed that you can manage to keep it all straight !

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin Someone had combined this with the graphic novel. Due to your comment, I've edited it and combined it with the prose novel. The mistake is understandable, since this has illustrations by the same guy who did the graphic novel and is published by the same publisher. Wouldn't surprise me if somebody un-does my edit later.

message 12: by Karl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karl Ed wrote: "Someone had combined this with the graphic novel. Due to your comment, I've edited it and combined it with the prose novel. The mistake is understandable, since this has illustrations by the same g..."

-- Thanks for your efforts to fix that kerfuffle, I find many things are wrong on GR, I have given up trying to ask the librarians for help, as mostly they refuse or act unhelpful, so thanks again. --