Exavidreader's Reviews > Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective

Qur'an and Woman by Amina Wadud

F 50x66

bookshelves: non-fiction

This is by far my favourite book on Islamic feminism. Despite some of the controversies that she has raised, a lot of her arguments are persuasive and acceptable. Do not judge a book by its author. It would be foolish to do so. Like many other books I have read, there are some parts of course that I disagree with. There are even some parts that I do not understand. Yet this is a good book to start the conversation on how the Qur'an could be reinterpreted to project a more balanced, egalitarian view for both sexes.

Why did I not give four stars? Some parts may not be easy to understand for those not used to academic jargon. A limitation of most books written by academics, for how do you reach the masses when the masses can't read your work? Another reason I did not give five stars was because there are some arguments (though not all) that she did not discuss thoroughly by bringing in both sides of the debate.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Qur'an and Woman.

Finished Reading