Gary's Reviews > All the Birds in the Sky

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

I've been a fan of Anders short fiction for awhile, so when I picked up All the Birds in the Sky I was expecting something whimsical and clever and wickedly funny, and was not disappointed.
The story is about two childhood friends, Patricia and Laurence - a witch and a super scientist, respectively - who find themselves caught up in the unintended consequences of trying to save the world. The absurdist tone of the novel is appropriate for this setup, which often reads like a fantasy novel having a wrestling match with a science fiction novel. The characters are beautifully drawn, and the first section of the book - dealing with Patricia's and Laurence's adolescence - is disturbing and painfully hilarious and unforgettable.
It's not a perfect book, though: there's a long stretch in the middle where it feels more like you're hanging out with the novel than reading it, and i started to get a little anxious before the final act kicked in. Also, while the ending is clever and reasonably earned, it also feels a bit undercooked.
Problems aside, Anders' prose is witty and pleasurable company, and the brilliant first half of All the Birds in the Sky was enough to carry me through the pretty good second half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Birds in the Sky.

November 17, 2015 – Shelved