Barb (Boxermommyreads)'s Reviews > This Monstrous Thing

This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee

Nov 17, 2015

bookshelves: 2015

I have been wanting to read this book since it first came out so I was happy to see it available recently at my library. I knew this book was a sort of retelling of Frankenstein, and that Mary Shelley was actually a character in the book, so to say it had me intrigued from the beginning is a real understatement.

Although I found the book slow at times, I was overall engrossed in the plot. I enjoyed many characters such as Clemence and Alasdair. Also, Oliver is such a great, misunderstood "monster." I really felt for him and truly cared about what happened to him. He in no way asked to be recreated and suffered tremendously for his brother's impulsive acts. I must add that I didn't like Mary's character much at all. I didn't feel connected to her and actually felt she was more of a monster than Oliver.

Like I mentioned, the plot is somewhat slow at times, but once past the 50% mark, it did really pick up. I found Lee's writing pleasurable and since this is only her debut novel, I am really interested to see what she comes out with in the future.

I would like to add my favorite quote from the book and one I feel sums it up quite nicely "...you made a human being. And humans are, by nature, monstrous."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Monstrous Thing.

Quotes Barb (Boxermommyreads) Liked

Mackenzi Lee
“...you made a human being. And humans are, by nature, monstrous.”
Mackenzi Lee, This Monstrous Thing

November 17, 2015 – Started Reading
November 17, 2015 – Shelved
November 18, 2015 –
45.0% "A tad slow but I am really enjoying the story."
November 24, 2015 – Finished Reading