Kate's Reviews > The Standout: A Robin Bricker Novel

The Standout by Laurel Osterkamp

bookshelves: book-tour, jan-2016, arc-read

The third novel featuring Laurel Osterkamp’s heroine Robin, ‘The Standout’ finds her venturing back into familiar territory as she’s persuaded to sign up for another reality tv show, this time centred on the fashion world – something Robin is determined to make a career out of. But things take a sinister turn when she’s seemingly stalked by the wife of a former lover. the only issue is, Carly died several years ago. So is she back from the dead or is someone else playing games, determined to break her and her new fiancée Nick apart?

I loved the previous novel of Laurel’s I reviewed ‘The Next Breath’ especially for it’s deeply realistic characters and situations, and ‘The Standout‘ is just as good. This time, Laurel has chosen to tell the story from several character’s points of view, often overlapping the timeline, which adds another layer to the narrative. The most effective of these for me were the chapters told by Robin’s brother Ted. Although not an immediately likeable character, and at times a bit of a jerk, you slowly come to see the reason behind his actions, and dislike soon turns to empathy. Along with Robin’s own narrative and that of Zelda, the dancer turned model who assists Robin, it’s a clever way to build the tale as well as the tension, which rises to an incredible level as the book nears it’s conclusion. My only disappointment is there was no chapters from Nick’s perspective – although I fear it may have just been continual screaming over how impossible Robin was being.

There really is something for every reader in ‘The Standout’ – fashion, dance, romance, intrigue – although there were moments where it did feel a tiny bit over-whelming and muddled, but as long as you focus on the central characters, then there’s no danger of getting lost. The plot is tightly woven, and very difficult to second-guess, with Osterkamp’s ability with complex storylines shining through from beginning to end.

This was a very quick read, and hard to stop thinking about, and I can’t wait to see what Laurel has got planned for Robin next. I hope it involves more Ted and Nick.

Review previously published at If These Books Could Talk

Book supplied as part of promotional tour in exchange for an unbiased review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Standout.

November 17, 2015 – Shelved