Susan Peine's Reviews > Sacred Clowns

Sacred Clowns by Tony Hillerman

Jan 29, 2011

I've enjoyed getting to know the characters of Jim Chee and Lt. Leaphorn. But the main reason that I'm attracted to these books is the setting...it's quite literally in my backyard. The location of all three books I've read so far cover a huge portion of the Navajo Reservation (or Navajo Nation, as the locals refer to it)...some places I see every day, some places I've already visited, and some I'll check out once the mud dries back into hard soil, making rural roads passable again!

It's also interesting for me to see what has changed on the reservation from 30 years ago, when his earlier books were published, to today. I know that the books are fiction, but they truly hit the mark when describing much of what I see out here.

The mysteries themselves aren't the most interesting, Hillerman tends to wrap them up quite neatly within the last twenty pages or so of each book. What I enjoy, rather than the mysteries themselves, is the way in which the two characters, Chee and Leaphorn, wrestle with solving the cases as well as solving their own personal dilemmas that surround them at the same time.

If I can find any more used copy at the thrift store in town (or Kindle prices go down), I'll keep reading others that he's written.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Clowns.

Carmen Great review.