Juli Rahel's Reviews > The Invasion of the Tearling

The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

Nov 17, 2015

As some of you may remember, I practically devoured the first book in the Tearling trilogy, The Queen of the Tearling. At that point I definitely knew that the second book would be right up my alley as well. Give me all the strong heroines, the queens and the fantasy novels. So here I am, having read the sequel and hungering for the third book. Thanks to Netgalley and Random House UK for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

The first novel ended with the threat of war on the horizon and hence quite some tension, yet it has to be said that this tension doesn't necessarily carry on in the beginning of the book. Rather, Johansen goes back to Kelsea and her struggles with her position as Queen, really delving back into her main character. Kelsea, with all her strengths ad flaws, really was the best thing about The Queen of the Tearling and she remains that in The Invasion of the Tearling. She is not perfect but she has something she is willing to fight for, and that within itself sets Kelsea apart from a lot of other female characters. Even if what she is doing seems ridiculous or out of bounds, there is a reason for it and the reader can hardly blame her or not empathize with her.

Johansen takes a lot of story risks in this book which won't be to everyone's tasted but which make The Invasion of the Tearling my favourite YA book so far. As a follow-up this book does some great work and I really enjoyed it. I recommend it to anyone who loves Fantasy and female protagonists!

Full review:
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invasion of the Tearling.

November 17, 2015 – Started Reading