Juli Rahel's Reviews > Of Things Gone Astray

Of Things Gone Astray by Janina Matthewson

There is something charming about books which seem so abstract and ridiculous that they actually make genuine sense. Sometimes issues need to be pushed to the ridiculous as far as possible before they actually make sense. I had a feeling that Of Things Gone Astray was exactly that kind of book when I read the blurb and I'm very happy to say that I was right. Thanks to HarperCollins and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

Of Things Gone Astray is a great insight into how humans can lose themselves sometimes. That might sound like an overly dramatic statement but Matthewson manages to pick up on small things that end up being symbolic for something much bigger. The storyline that got to me the most was that of Delia, who loses her sense of direction and never know where she's going or how she ended up there. And then, as you get to know her more throughout the book, you realize that maybe she has been lost for longer but that she's definitely heading towards something as well. It's with these kind of great links that Matthewson explores some of humanity's darker sides where we let ourselves get dragged down by everything around us.

I adored Of Things Gone Astray! Matthewson beautifully weaves together the stories of different people caught up in their life. Whether it's family, loneliness, death or love, everything gets discussed in this book and it will do so in ways you definitely won't expecy. I'd recommend this to fans of Magical Realism and slight Absurdism.

Full review: http://universeinwords.blogspot.co.uk...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Things Gone Astray.

November 17, 2015 – Started Reading