Kelsey's Reviews > Soul Mates

Soul Mates by Liz  Morrison

bookshelves: local-authors, historical-fiction, young-adult
Recommended to Kelsey by: Liz Morrison

I purchased this book after meeting Liz Morrison at our library's local author event. I love historical fiction especially when it has a bit of a twist as this one does with the reincarnation aspect. It only took about 20 pages before I was hooked, and Soul Mates quickly became one of my new favorites.

What is the premise of the story?
Wills Harrington believes he is the reincarnation of his great-great-granduncle who died in Rouen, France during World War I. He continues to have strange dreams surrounding his love in another life, Charlotte and decides to travel to Rouen, believing it may hold the answers to his past.

Charlie Longley also has strange dreams about herself as a World War I nurse, Charlotte, stationed in Rouen, France, where she loved a man named William. Unsure what these dreams might mean, she travels with a study abroad program to Rouen, hoping to find the pieces of the puzzle.

Wills and Charlie meet and feel an instant connection to one another. Together, they set out on a quest to discover the details of William and Charlotte's story while also dealing with backstabbing friends, a mysterious treasure hunt, and their intense feelings for each other. And they only have six months until Charlie returns to the States. Simple right?

What was my biggest complaint?
The cover. To be blunt - I hated the cover art. I felt it did a great injustice to the overall quality of this book. To me, it gave the impression that this would be a cheesy romance novel about flighty teenagers with just enough history cited to say that it was a "historical" romance. The saying "never judge a book by its cover" is 100% accurate in the case of Soul Mates.

So what then made it so great?
While this book is definitely a romance novel, it isn't cheesy in the slightest. Liz Morrison does a fantastic job of blending the story of Wills and Charlie in the 21st century with the story of their counterparts, William and Charlotte, in 1917. The love story of Wills and Charlie sometimes feels a bit over the top for two average teenagers, but then we remember that their lives are anything but average. We see their relationship blossom amidst their individual struggles to discover who they were, who they are, and who they want to be. Their characters, both past and present, are well developed, the historical aspects seemed well researched, and the plot left me wanting more. It was sad to say goodbye after only 310 pages.

As a complete side note, I loved that Charlie was from St. Louis. It is so rare that St. Louis is mentioned in any of the novels I read that when it is, I have to tip my hat in thanks to the author. As a St. Louis native, I was thrilled to see references to both Forest Park and the Cardinals.

So as Wills would say, I found this book to be "bloody brilliant." Definitely one for the TBRA (To Be Read Again) shelf.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Mates.

November 17, 2015 – Shelved
November 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 17, 2015 – Shelved as: local-authors
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
December 5, 2015 – Started Reading
December 10, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 5, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Morrison Hi Kelsey! I am so glad you liked the story!
Liz Morrison