Rakhi Jayashankar's Reviews > The Bobble Heads of My Life

The Bobble Heads of My Life by D. Everett Newell

bookshelves: reviewed, poetry

The book is a collection of 77 poems, five micro stories, and a short novel.
Author’s love for his hometown and his family is the main highlight of the book. Nevertheless, through the magic of words, he succeeded in spreading a feel of universal love and passion of all grandparents, parents, spouses, and children. He manifests these entire roles in different poems like “Flying Burrito Brothers”, “One Less Hug”, “She keeps on keeping on”, and “Valentine’s Day”. He made me wish for my grandfather to be alive, to dedicate such a lovely boo for me. Another topic he dealt with is Gettysburg. His love Gettysburg, its beauty, life, grandeur etc. Author laments the battle of Gettysburg in the poems “Alone at Gettysburg”, “When the Sun at Gettysburg sets”, “125th Battle of Gettysburg Anniversary”, “My first home”, and Micro Story “My Ideal Place to Visit.”
This is not all; he disparages cruelty against animal in “I call it living”, Riots in “Baltimore”, discrimination in “Shades of People”, ego in “You let me down”, violence in “Pearl Harbor”. He shared his songs “Oh the days” and Tarnished wings. He shared the link http://voiceofcoyote.com for hearing his songs. This is not it. There are more. I will leave it for the readers.
I will call the style of writing as cool and touching. One need not use the toughest vocabulary or obscure language to convey a beautiful poem. The simplicity and sincerity speak more that those complicate artificiality. That is the virtue of Newell’s poems.
My favorite ones are
1. Balloons of a Clown
2. Big Sleep
3. Slides of life ( Micro Story)
4. Four Eyes
10. One less hug
11. Valentine’s day
12. Was a time
13. The bobble heads of my life

Only topic where I won’t concur (I won’t say Negative since it’s just my personal feeling) is the Paranormal part. He tried to prove that paranormal activity does occur. Same time, he has put forward a kind of disclaimer that it could be unacceptable for many. Well it’s for the readers to decide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bobble Heads of My Life.

Finished Reading