H.W.'s Reviews > Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies

Double Cross by Ben Macintyre

bookshelves: nonfiction

Double-cross promises a long scorecard of unusual characters in a trying--and dangerous--game, spying for Britain in WW2. It delivers, both in the selection of outsized personalities and in building the stories clearly and engagingly, at a steady, if gentle, pace right to the end of the book. The individuals involved are shown in the context of an overall arc, the grand deception that led to D-Day. Although I had read much of that time, from histories to The Rommel Papers, I never knew what a part the British intelligence service played in that success of the Allied landing. Also, I found the denouement quite interesting and fulfilling, as MacIntyre presents the fates of his subjects in detail.

Although I appreciate MacIntyre's focus, I would have liked some more texture about the British minders. There is less about the spymasters than the spies; more detail of the MI5 crew's day-to-day lives, and indeed some description of setting would have been welcomed. Did they all work in the same building? Share coffee? Dodge V1 and V2s? But that would have made the book longer. We have to assume MacIntyre provided as much detail as he had.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Cross.

Started Reading