Kelshei's Reviews > Red Hourglass

Red Hourglass by Scarlet Risque

Mary is a young woman who finds herself abandoned by her mother, left with her abusive step-father, forced to kill to protect herself, and on the streets before she is sixteen years old. Is it any wonder that when a mysterious woman known as The White Queen finds Mary on the subway half-starved and offers Mary a place to live and food for her belly, Mary jumps at the chance. Like many young women in a similar situation, Mary doesn't look too closely at the strings attached to the offer.

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this book. I enjoyed parts of it immensely. Other parts made me roll my eyes at how trite and cliched it was.  It was a quick read, and an enjoyable one. The sex scenes are hot, hot, hot and involve mild domination by both partners. Because of the age of the heroine, I expect that this book would be best categorized as New Adult, but it also borders on erotica.   Though this is book one of the series, it does NOT have a cliffhanger ending, which is a blessed relief compared to many books in this genre. Kudos for that! I would not feel like I have reviewed this book in good conscience if I didn't warn readers of potentially triggering scenes involving attempted rape at the hands of Mary's step-father and some instances of semi-dubious consent.

I do like the concept of this book and think that it might have benefited from some harsher edited towards the end as the ending seems somewhat pat and rushed for me. I did enjoy the book enough that I'm willing to give future outings in the series a shot.

Reviewed by HR Duby for Paranormal Romance and Authors that Rock

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Hourglass.

November 15, 2015 – Started Reading