Ashley P's Reviews > The Prey

The Prey by Allison Brennan

Jan 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: mysteries-and-spies, series, female-author, own-it, march

** spoiler alert ** This book was interesting to me mainly because of my initial and ending reactions to it. When I first read the summary of it I found it to be one that was truly interesting.

When I read the beginning, again I was interested, however this book is about 200 pages too long. There were a lot of things which were much too drawn out and could have been more succinct, and I don't get how this novel was ever actually called fast paced.

Rowan/Lily is too closed off for much of the novel and while some people might consider this to be more realistic it does not make for very entertaining reading at all, and leaves the reader left out in the cold in terms of relating to the character on any terms.

The love triangle between Rowan, Michael and John seemed contrived, and Michael's death seemed to be forced in a way.

However the last two hundred pages of the book made me stick with it, as the mystery of who the killer is was revealed and the twisted tale of Rowan/Lily's past was revealed. I was really appreciative of the pace of the book from that point on, and was willing to forgive Brennan for the horrible middle.

I don't know if I will or not, but I might be willing to pick up her other books, if they are more like the end of this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prey.

January 28, 2011 – Started Reading