A.J. Maguire's Reviews > Ancestor

Ancestor by Scott Sigler

Jan 28, 2011

Read from January 28 to February 14, 2011

Let me start off by saying that I walked into Ancestor with a promise to myself that I would not, under any circumstances, become attached to any one character in the story. Because let's face it, Sigler has a way of crucifying people to walls and boiling characters alive and just about every character you see cross the page has a time limit before some alien or monster makes mince meat out of them. But there I was, chest deep in science fiction/horror and there were not one but three characters who I was praying would survive.

As in, if they died I would have to use my "junkie" powers on his website to somehow reach through cyberspace and choke the author to death.

Which meant, of course, that I had become emotionally attached to the characters. And in the world of readers and writers, that's one of the highest achievements. So my proverbial hats off to you, Mr. Scott Sigler, as much as I didn't want to attach myself to the walking body count on the page, I did. I won't spoil it for anyone and say whether or not those three particular characters died or name them specifically, but if I could strangle you via cyberspace, you know that I would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ancestor.

02/01/2011 "Currently in Book III of the novel and, as expected, torn somewhere between cringing at what I know will inevitably be a bloodbath (anything Sigler just denotes a large body count) and loving the characters."