puppitypup's Reviews > Dark Country

Dark Country by Bronwyn Parry

liked it
bookshelves: romantic-suspense

Romantic Suspense Disappointing

Well, this did not live up to my expectations, but I suspect that's partly my fault. After the first book in the series, which was remarkable, I had purposely not jumped right into Book 2, saving it instead for a special treat.

While there is nothing really wrong with Dark Country, it didn't grab hold of me, making me feel like I was a part of Dungirri. That deep loneliness and despair, intrinsically tied to the dusty, dying town, never made an appearance here. The story needed breathing room, time to think, to feel.

This is told more from Gil's perspective, the male lead, than Kris', and I always feel a story more when it's told from the female perspective.

There are other things that conspired against me in this novel as well. This is a mafia story, and when I hear the word mafia, my eyes glaze over. For whatever reason, mafia stories hold no appeal for me.

And to make matters worse, the bad guys are continually talked about, but don't make an appearance until the very end. I think I needed to "put a name with a face" earlier in the story to keep all the characters straight.

Finally, the love story here isn't nearly as romantic, it feels more about physical need than emotional need. I seem to have hit on a number of books in a row with an emotionally distant main character, understandable due to their life circumstances, but hard for me as a reader to relate to.

That said, I will try the third in the series, Ms. Parry proved her worth to me with the first book, I am absolutely willing to give her another try.

The book is not clean, there is one intimate scene and several bad words.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Country.

Started Reading