Graham Herrli's Reviews > Improving the User Experience Through Practical Data Analytics: Gain Meaningful Insight and Increase Your Bottom Line

Improving the User Experience Through Practical Data Analytics by Mike Fritz

Nov 14, 2015

bookshelves: design-related

This book is an introductory statistics textbook that contextualizes the statistical tests for user experience research.

I've found it quite useful. It was helpful to have the statistical tests presented in a context where I could apply them. By the time I finished reading it, I had already used a couple of those from the earlier pages in work projects to determine the significance of some survey results.

Each chapter focuses on a different type of statistical test for a different context and then shows how to perform the test using Excel and SPSS. (In a couple of cases, the tests were only possible in SPSS, but not Excel.)

The authors also bookend each chapter with a quick fictitious "case study" to contextualize how the research is used in real life. Although these added a bit of color to an otherwise drab book, I found their projection of other members of the development team to be far too negative. Every single supervisor the authors created in these little stories is overbearing, inconsiderate, or rude, while the internal voice of "you" the UX researcher in the stories is patronizing, focused on flaws, and self-aggrandizing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Improving the User Experience Through Practical Data Analytics.

Started Reading