Lora's Reviews > Faefever

4632071
Jan 28, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from January 01 to 02, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Well, I'd like to say that I was surprised by the ending, but I wasn't. A while back, I was interested in reading this series, but I've had bad experiences with the Urban Fantasy genre, so I decided to read reviews of the first three installments so that I would know what I was getting into. And when I read that the main character, Mac, is gang raped in the ending of this installment, I quickly decided that this series wasn't for me. BUT, because of some helpful information I've recently received from a friend (you know who you are), and because EVERYONE insists that this series is sheer awesomeness, I decided to give it a try. And I'm still very glad I did.

The ending of this one had me disgusted, saddened, and on the verge of tears, because I've grow very found of Mac's character in a short time, and it was horrible to read what happened to her. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this installment despite its brutal ending. But not as much as its predecessor.

Faefever felt a little like a filler to me. Not much happens until the end where the Faery world's inhabitants cross over into our world and wreak havoc. And of course Mac gets turned into a Pri-ya, a human sex slave. The rest of Faefever is basically just Mac preparing for the impending doom that the faeries are sure to cause, alternating her alliances between Barrons and V'lane, and searching for the Sinsar Dubh; only to find it and not take it! Her and Barrons come this close *holds forefinger and thumb a millimeter apart* to having the Sinsar Dubh in their possession. And while I understand why Barrons didn't pick it up, it still seems like a lot of searching only to leave it upon finding it.

And then you've got the whole V'lane thing. Love him or hate him, I've had a bad feeling about his character since book 1. And am I mistaken, or was he in this one more than Barrons? I know that lack of page time for your favorite character isn't a valid reason to dislike a novel, but it matters to me when you're talking about Barrons (those of you who are a fan of him surely know what I'm talking about).

But the majority of this I still enjoyed. Although we don't find out what exactly Barrons is, I have a theory that just might be plausible. There's also a couple of really interesting scenes in this one:

1. The MacHalo. Completely adorable and hilarious on Mac's part, and I LOVED it when Barrons couldn't stop laughing at her.
2. The scene where Barrons and V'lane are having an altercation over Mac. Lots of testosterone there.

And much like Lucky Charms, Barrons is magically delicious. 'Nuff said.

Now, honestly, I don't think that if I were reading this series upon its original release that I would wait for Dreamfever and continue reading. But, I have Dreamfever sitting beside me as I type this and that helps a lot. Plus, for me, the ending of this doesn't negate my earlier enjoyment with this series.

And with all of that said, I'm on to Dreamfever.

FAVORITE QUOTE:

"In the Serengeti, Ms. Lane, I would be the cheetah. I'm stronger, smarter, faster, and hungrier than everything else out there. And I don't apologize to the gazelle when I take it down."

(That quote literally gives me chills.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faefever.

Jessica Yay! Have fun, sweety :)

~Tina~ Happy Reading! Make sure you've got book 4 at the ready hun! But...you already know that;) lol

Lora Oh, don't worry, Tina, I've got Dreamfever right beside my bed. ;)

~Tina~ That'a girl!

message 5: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I don't mind. I know you have the fever.

Jessica Very well said, Lora. I felt the same way, especially about the ending. That was a real shoker for me, too. :-(

Lora Thank you, Jess, but I forgot my favorite quote! I'm gonna go add it. (Check back in a second to read it, please.)

Jessica Hehe, of course, sweety :)
Yes, that's a very good quote :)

~Tina~ Such a great review! Love the quote!

message 10: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Damn it! Can't read this review either. Must hurry up. Tina can you lend me some super reading powers :)

message 11: by ~Tina~ (last edited Feb 04, 2011 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ I'm sending it right now, Nic >.< Just look into the eyes @.@

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Finally I can read this review. Great review Lora and agree Barrons is magically delicious!

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Thanks, Nic! I don't know if they have Lucky Charms cereal in Australia, but I thought that was kinda funny. ;)

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic No lucky charms cereal in Australia. Heard of it before though. And must be delicious if you can compare it too Barrons!

message 15: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora I detest Lucky Charms cereal. But "magically delicious" is the slogan for their product. You can watch the commercial here. It's terrible clarity but if you listen to what the little Irish guy says at the end you'll get the joke.

Arlene Lora your review has just about everything I was going to write... even down to the quote I was going to use!

message 17: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Oh, really? I'm sorry. You know I never read reviews for books that I'm about to write a review for, myself; I'm afraid I'll not be able to distinguish my thoughts and feelings from the other person's. You know what I mean?

Arlene Why are you sorry??? I hadn't even written my review when I read yours. I guess I was trying to say that as I was reading your review I was saying to myself... "Yes! I agree! I love that quote too!" In other words, you took the words right out of my mouth. Your review IMO was perfect.

Sorry, I'm not very clear sometimes. ((hugs)) :D

message 19: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora No, that's fine, hun. I just meant that, for me, it's hard to read others reviews and not get them mixed up with mine.

All's well, Arlene. I knew what you meant. :)

Arlene Oh! Got it! :)

Ronyell Awesome review Lora!!! Love this series!!