Malia's Reviews > The Widow

The Widow by Fiona Barton

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-suspense

I really wanted this one to live up to my high expectations - I bought the hardback, after all! Unfortunately, while the writing was good, the story felt a bit slow paced, considering the gripping premise, and I never really connected with the characters. The conclusion, too, didn't come as a surprise. Still, this did not read like a debut novel, Barton can clearly write, and I will keep an eye on her future work.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widow.

November 14, 2015 – Shelved
November 14, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 4, 2016 – Started Reading
March 7, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 13, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda There is so much hype out there on this one. May not include this one on my list after all.

Malia Linda wrote: "There is so much hype out there on this one. May not include this one on my list after all."

It wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to the hype for me. I'd recommend books by Jane Casey or Sophie McKenzie as good psychological thrillers and mysteries instead.

Book Club Mom Hi Malia - I agree - I just finished reading it today and I was a little disappointed with the plot, but it was a quick, easy read.

Malia Book Club Mom wrote: "Hi Malia - I agree - I just finished reading it today and I was a little disappointed with the plot, but it was a quick, easy read."

That's true, and I am still curious to read her newest book the Suspect:-)