Carmen 's Reviews > The 100 Thing Challenge: How I Got Rid of Almost Everything, Remade My Life, and Regained My Soul

The 100 Thing Challenge by Dave Bruno

Jan 28, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2011

Yes, this is another I-did-something-really-really-hard-for-a-year-and-wrote-about-it book. I do like these books because I'm interested in people deliberately changing their behavior(hopefully for the better), but they do feel a tad gimmicky as well. I read a lot about simplicity, de-cluttering and I subscribe to the whole Less-Is-More mentality. So, it's fitting that I'd read Bruno's book. He spends a year trying to break free of consumerism by limiting his possessions down to roughly 100 things (It's not really about the number so much as he counts his library of books as one thing). His book offers some insight in that some of the possessions we seek out represent our yearning for an idyllic life or an attempt to recreate something in our lives (like childhood). For instance, Bruno spends some time describing how, deep down, he thought that owning all of his woodworking tools would somehow transform him into this outdoors-y artisan craftsman, an ideal life in his mind. In reality, he sometimes tinkered with his tools, but felt completely unburdened when he sold them. In the end, he was content more with less (I know. shocker!) Sometimes, he'd get into some detailed story and I'd think there was a point coming, but it didn't. Overall, it's a good read and it may give us something to think about as we head to the mall for more stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 100 Thing Challenge.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue I love those one-year books too. I read somewhere that there's actually a name for that genre- stunt journalism. I don't care what they call it or how cheesy it is. I love those books!