Erwin's Reviews > Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way

Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson

M 50x66
Jan 28, 2011

bookshelves: business
Read 2 times. Last read July 28, 2011.

Loosing My Virginity

Excellent autobiography. Mr. Branson has a lot in common with Sam Walton and Ray Crock, except Mr. Branson has a more magnetic personality that he's used to his advantage in the age of mass media. Like all great men, he is a man of his time, and used his adventurous rebellious persona to promote himself and his brand.

His story is insightful, motivational, and more importantly - useful.

Like Walton and Crock, Branson's growth always was happening with bankers in the background knocking at his door - up until he sold Virgin records for over $1B USD (mostly cash) and therefore had the solid collateral to borrow and do whatever he wanted.

There aren't many lessons for an entrepreneur to learn from Branson's post "Virgin Records" sale, and he admits that --- few are ever fortunate enough to make it to that scale. However, he points out many practical, no nonsense management ideas.

Most importantly, Branson always focused on his employees, on working hard and having fun, and on living up to high business standards - even when British Airways actually hired private investigators and PR teams to destroy his image, creditability and ultimately his ability to finance Virgin Airlines.

If you need another reminder to: SCREW IT, LET'S DO IT - then give Branson's autobiography a read. I'll definitely re-read this one some day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing My Virginity.

January 28, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 28, 2011 – Finished Reading
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
October 13, 2011 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
December 13, 2011 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
March 5, 2015 – Shelved as: business
March 5, 2015 – Shelved as: business (Other Paperback Edition)