Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Bloodshot

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest

Jan 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, glistening-fangs, reviewed-in-2011

Cherie Priest should rewrite the first 20% of her book. It wasn’t boring exactly, but the MC was incredibly annoying and unlikeable. I was just about ready to give up on Bloodshot and go read something else when I said to myself: “Hey, this is UF, and you’ve been playing hide and seek with good UF novels for far too long. It deserves a second chance.” So I decided to read another chapter, and in that chapter, the weirdest thing happened: Raylene and the story did a 180. It all suddenly became very interesting and I started to care. It was a real page turner from that point on. I loved it.

Here are some of the things that bothered me in the first part of Bloodshot:

The narrator (Raylene) addresses the reader directly and conversationally. I would absolutely love that if the said narrator wasn’t incredibly annoying, selfish and cold, even for a vampire.

Humor often makes an extremely important part of urban fantasy. Even more often an author will try so hard to make the MC funny that the only thing he/she will accomplish is sounding incredibly stupid and annoying. Trying to be funny and failing miserably is the main reason I didn’t like Bloodshot at first.
Here’s how it goes: a human guy breaks into Raylene’s storage building, she catches him, feeds on him, drains him dry and then eases her conscience with the fact that his name is Trevor, and you know, she’s never known a Trevor who isn’t a total douchebag, so it's „Raylene: 1/Trevors of the world: 0.” Through this entire torturous experience, she's doing her very best to be funny, but only succeeding in irritating the hell out of me with sentences like:
I folded Trevor like a clean shirt and inserted him into the muddy slot like a pizza going into an oven. Yeah. Not funny. And I don’t ever want to eat pizza again.

Also, I didn’t like her name at all. It’s a pretty ridiculous name for a vampire. I’ve been thinking that someone should introduce Raylene to Disco the vampire from Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between. They would probably hit it off right away.

So after all this, how did it all change? Well, for one, she stopped trying to be funny. Once that heavy burden was lifted from the narrator, she became more likeable. She also stopped being cold and selfish. She abandoned the ‘me against the world’ attitude and started caring about others.

I LOVED the almost-love story. I can’t emphasize this enough. It wasn't in my face all the time - it was actually very subtle. I loved the fact that he was blind (yep, a blind vampire) and very dependent on others. He was a strong character, but not physically threatening. I also loved that they didn’t jump each other right away. The love interest developed gradually from a business relationship, and it didn’t develop fully, at least not yet.

The next installment is called Hellbent and it will be released this summer. I will definitely read it.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars. It would be 4 without that first part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodshot.

January 28, 2011 – Shelved
March 29, 2011 – Started Reading
March 30, 2011 –
20.0% "One more chapter and I'm done. It's a waste of time."
March 30, 2011 –
60.0% "I understand why someone would give up after the first 20% of this book; but it's pretty good now. I actually enjoy it."
March 31, 2011 – Finished Reading

Tatiana LOL re: Raylene and Disco:)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you know that I've read a book about a blind vampire? This was ages ago, before GoodReads and I don't remember the author or the title. Too bad too, because I remember liking the book a lot.

Chichipio *sighs in relief* I had some hopes for this one so I was a bit sad when I read your 20% status update. I thought that I would have to let it go. Good thing it grew on you. I'm definitely reading it now.

message 4: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Mar 31, 2011 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It really did grow on me, although it's not your average UF. It's more of a mystery/government conspiracy. Anyone looking for benign vampires, love and sex, needs to look elsewhere.

Just don't be discouraged by those first 60-70 pages.

Hey, did you by any chance read Tempest Rising and the rest of the Jane True series? If you didn't, you really should. It's my favorite series by far.

message 5: by Chichipio (last edited Mar 31, 2011 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chichipio Really? I had the first one on my TR list (I think it's still there) and a few times I almost started it, but I don't why exactly, but something about the cover put me off… every time.

Ha! I guess it serves me right for judging a book by its cover. I'm pushing it up closer to the top, then.

BTW, I actually prefer good ol' sexless (or nearly sexless, anyway) UF. Smut doesn't bother me, unless it detracts heavily from the plot, but it's never my reason for reading these books.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Someone like you is rare, my friend. Smut seems to be very important these days. I'm not a PNR person myself. I like a good love story as much as the next person but I don't want it to be the main motivator.

As for Jane True, the first book was just good - but still better than most(worldbuilding, character developement etc.), the second book blew me away and I STILL can't believe the third one. Just thinking about it makes me happy. :)

But here. I reviewed the series so far:

Chichipio But that's just these days. A few years ago, there were a lot of UF that was smut free, at least for the first couple of books. Of the top of my head: Dresden Files, Mercy Thompson, Kate Daniels, The Hollows, Cal Leandros, Kitty Norville, even Fever. I've never tried Anita Blake because I already knew how it would turn out but I think it was pretty tame for several books, too.

It's only recently that the balance tipped the other way but as you say, as long as it's not the main motivator, I have no problem.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Some of those are my favorites and some I couldn't even finish (Kitty Norville and Dead Witch Walking). As for Anita Blake, I tried reading the first installment, but a bunch of giant were-rats showed up, and that was it for me.

You should definitely try Tempest Rising. Jane's not even thin and muscular as most of them are... she's actually described as 'built for comfort, not for speed'. Lol. You have to admit that's pretty unusual. ;)

Chichipio "built for comfort, not for speed." Ha! I'll remember to use that the next time I hear "Does this dress make me look fat?"

message 10: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya I have two words for the two of you... FROST FRICKING MOON!!!! Okay, that's three words, but still. Go. Read. Now.

Chichipio *whining voice* But mooooommmm! I wanna keep hanging out on Goodreads… Geez! You're sooooo bossy… *grumbling and mumbling* alright, alright, I'm going to read that now…

Chichipio Well, maybe, just maybe, the reason I wasn't in a hurry to read this book has something to do with a certain GR friend not even reviewing it! That's right. I'm blaming this on you, Vin.

message 13: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya You want a REVIEW? You can't just TRUST me and take my word for it?!! You can't have faith in our friendship? In the impeccability of my taste in books? You want a REVIEW?!!! *runs away sobbing*

Chichipio Had you asked me this a week ago, I would have hung my head in shame and begged for forgiveness. But then, you and Flann started handing 4 and 5 stars to every Nora Roberts book you could find lying around. So, now, the opinions of you both are a bit… suspect.

message 15: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya This is NOT true! Flann just gave ONE STAR to a Nora Roberts book. So there!

message 16: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Mar 31, 2011 09:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You're right, she IS bossy. She made me read Banished, and The Gost And the Goth and some other books, too. I've read them all simply because I'm scared of her.

But here's the deal, darling. I refuse to read another book you recommended until you read Tempest Rising. *stomps feet*

Chichipio Judge: Objection sustained. Counselor, Flann is not at trial here, so please refrain from bringing her name into this argument.

Chichipio: I'll rephrase, your honor. Had you asked me this a week ago, I would have hung my head in shame and begged for forgiveness. But then, you and Flann started handing 4 and 5 stars to every Nora Roberts book you could find lying around. So, now, your the opinions of you both are a bit… suspect.

So there! :P (my ascii emoticons kick your graphic ones' butts)

message 18: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya Maja wrote: "You're right, she IS bossy. She made me read Banished, and The Gost And the Goth and some other books, too. I've read them all simply because I'm scared of her."

But-but-but you LOVED them! O_O Fine. I will read Tempest rising. Just as soon as NBN week is over. Happy?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Whoa. Mommy and Daddy are fighting again. I better go hide under the table now.

Chichipio Uh-oh… she stomped her feet. I wouldn't mess with her.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'll believe it when I see it. And if you by any chance (and it's a very small chance) don't like Tempest Rising, I'll make you read the second book, too. That's where everything becomes freakin' amazing!

message 22: by Vinaya (last edited Mar 31, 2011 09:54AM) (new)

Vinaya Here is my concise, yet erudite and HIGHLY convincing argument...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, it's the best one yet. Very mature.

(view spoiler)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) FINE! I'm easy to influence. I'll have to work on that with my therapist.
But who could resist such an argument?!

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya I LUVVVVV YOU! You are my favourite Croatian! LMAO

I promise you, before I get on ANY ARCs, I will read Jane True and that Necromancer book. Pinky promise. Lol.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yep. Let's face it. I'm the only Croatian you know. And I'm not even Croatian!!! (view spoiler)

Chichipio You caved? Dammit, it wasn't a fair fight. I should have known that her being a lawyer would let her make the most compelling arguments.

message 28: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya Please. Admit it. You're a sucker for the little yellow face, too! I bet you gurgle baby talk at it. While reading Frost Moon. (see how insidiously I am programming you to read that book?)

Maja, (view spoiler) But you're Croatian NOW! ;-)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I had to!!! *hides face in hands* She IS right about one thing - I liked pretty much every book she ever recommended to me.

Oh, come on. You read it too so we can exchange opinions.

Chichipio Oh, come on! Not fair at all. I'm lousy at resisting peer pressure and if you present an unified front it becomes nearly impossible. So, maybe—I'm not making any promises here—I'll get around to read it tomorrow.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I didn't do it on purpose, I swear! She's just so damn convincing! :( She didn't go to law school for nothing.

I'm starting Frost Moon now. I need a break from Sirantha anyway. I've read two books in a row - I'll read the third one next week.

message 32: by BrinStardust (new) - added it

BrinStardust You guys are hilarious. I'm adding your recommendations to my tr list.