Carey's Reviews > A Blade of Black Steel

A Blade of Black Steel by Alex   Marshall

I love this book (and the first) so much that I bought it in hardback and ebook. I haven't read the third yet, but this series is so good I bought that one twice too. And my husband used an Audible credit on the first one.

The Song of the Lioness quartet were the queer books I needed when I was a tween. The Crimson Empire books are the queer books I need as an adult. I know different people are going to take different things away from these books, and I want to say that this is one of the most engaging sword and sorcery type fantasy series I have ever read. The characters are easy to relate to, even if their problems are on a much bigger scale (except Hoartrap because wtf?). And the story is fun AF. But for me, my favorite thing, is that the Star doesn't give a shit about gender. A lot of things can hold a character back in this messed up world but gender isn't one of them. A lot of really awesome gender and sexuality stuff is going on in YA fiction, but it's important for adults to relate to that stuff too. It's not like we grow out of queerness.

Other non-spoilery things I like:
Zosia calling Hoartrap a bag of dicks
Diggleby calling the Pope a dog butt
Bang's look
The fact that Best wouldn't bother threatening to turn this car around - she'd just do it
The love of a woman for her war hammer

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blade of Black Steel.

November 13, 2015 – Shelved