Becky's Reviews > Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback

Tracks by Robyn Davidson

I am so at a loss for this book. I read it sandwiched between Wild by Cheryl Strayed and Mother of God by Paul Rosolie, both of which were fantastic and amazingly well written. Davidson, however, lacked the talent to write as well as the other two. The narrative style was too choppy for me, occasionally hard to follow, and random. It lacked flow the majority of the time, whereas there were other moments in which Davidson discussed her friendship with Aborigines or how the desert necessarily expands your “mind” as ultra-connection is required for survival that were beautiful, if not refined.

I am wildly impressed with this woman’s resolve, her skill, her compassion and love. I will say that. Her journey is amazing, as is the environmental destruction of the outback and the plights of the Aborigines, both things that I am thankful she discussed at length in the book. It’s just that, at every point, I wanted more. I understand her desire to keep the motives and deeply personal lessons to herself, but I would have liked more description of her actual journey, 1700 miles only made up half of the book! I despaired over Diggitty, fretted over bull camels, but still don’t feel like I really know her journey, the daily life in the desert, how she made her plans, the sunrises and the sunsets, etc. I feel like most of the things that we get to know about her journey, like her annoyance with National Geographic, are superficial, superfluous, and take up space where we should have been invited into the Outback with her as the reader.

2.5 stars that I bumped to 3 simply because I couldn’t have done what she did, and I have made respect for her threatening drunks of her property with an empty rifle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tracks.

November 13, 2015 – Shelved
November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 23, 2015 – Started Reading
November 24, 2015 –
17.0% "A theme between Tracks and Wild- Women, more then men, are defined not by their own traits, but rather by their relationship to others- caregiver, parents, daughter, friend, spouse, etc. Both Strayed and Davidson are both seeking permission from themselves that it is okay to be alone, solitary, and separate, and also that it is possible."
November 24, 2015 –
17.0% "Robinson's narrative is lacking after reading Wild. I feel the gaps in her story telling. Instead of hearing what she is learning about camels, we instead get to read only about how hopeless she feels in the face of this goal. She talks about studying Aboriginals, but then only mention in passing that she been befriending several in the area. Its all very self-centered and negative so far. Hoping it picks up soon."
November 26, 2015 –
71.0% ""I'm slowly but efficiently going peculiar, I'm so scared of dying that the knocking of my knees wakes me up in the morning and has it all been worth it? Yes mountain-man, definitely."
November 26, 2015 – Finished Reading