Theodora Gotsis's Reviews > Don't Breathe a Word

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer  McMahon

Nov 12, 2015

it was ok

I'm not really into fairies as a topic for entertainment, but the blurb implied that it could get a bit dark. After reading wonderful but soppy romances for the last week, I thought I could do with a little dark. So , in a nutshell, 12 year old Lisa disappears, supposedly taken by the king of the faries. Now, it's 15 years on and her brother Sam and his girlfriend Phoebe have received information that she has returned. Is it really Lisa? if so, what has happened to her over all that time.

Although this was a fairly long book, I was able to rush through it because the story evolved in such a way that I felt compelled to keep going. Throughout the book, I couldn't really believe there was any magic at the root of the disappearance, but I started to change my mind. The only problem is that I changed it again and again. It was confusing as to what genre I was reading. I've heard of unreliable narrators before, but I'm not sure I enjoy unreliable authors.

So, as truly compelling as this book is I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Sure I can handle a little bit of uncertainty in an ending but not when it feels like the wrapup was so subtle, I completely missed the point. A real head scratcher. My only thought on reading the last page was "What?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Breathe a Word.

November 12, 2015 – Started Reading