Taylor's Reviews > The Sound of Waves

The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima

May 25, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, to-reread, own, for-school, hidden-gems, the-power-of-love, in-a-land-far-away, hey-shorty, golden-years, not-by-a-white-guy, translations
Recommended for: everyone, esp. fans of Murakami, people looking to try asian literature

Instead of reading the classics that most people read during their junior year of high school, we read stuff like this. Which, truth be told, is perfectly okay with me, because this is an absolutely stunning novel that I probably never would've read if it weren't for my International Baccalaureate program.

The book centers around a young teen romance that seems destined to never be achieved - yes, a typical plot, but it is approached so atypically by Mishima. He writes in a style not too unlike that of someone like Murakami - very light and simple, but beautiful in its lightness and simplicity. Mishima is a bit older, a bit darker, and a bit stranger, which makes his work all the more compelling.

This would be a good starting novel for someone who's never read any Asian literature, as well as a good continuation for those who've only read Murakami. It's also just a fantastic book in general.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Waves.

Started Reading
July 11, 2014 – Shelved as: hey-shorty
July 11, 2014 – Shelved as: golden-years
October 31, 2014 – Shelved as: not-by-a-white-guy
October 31, 2014 – Shelved as: translations

Matthew Beaty Are you talking about Haruki Murakami?

message 2: by s.p (new)

s.p Wow, I am jealous, sounds like your school had an excellent lit. department.

Taylor Yeah, I was part of the International Baccalaureate program, which mostly meant that we read a lot of literature in translation. Meant I missed out on a lot of the greats/classics of American lit, but nice because it introduced me to a world of stuff I might never have come to.

Dolors "Mishima is a bit older, a bit darker, and a bit stranger, which makes his work all the more compelling."
That depiction of Mishima's writing rocks Taylor. Spot-on, hats-off review.

Taylor Dolors wrote: ""Mishima is a bit older, a bit darker, and a bit stranger, which makes his work all the more compelling."
That depiction of Mishima's writing rocks Taylor. Spot-on, hats-off review."

Thanks, Dolors! Have been wanting to reread this one for a long time now... might be a good one for me to pick up again this winter.

Arleigh I read it for IB Lit as well and really enjoyed it!

message 7: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Mills I'm having my IB students read it this year. Good to know I'm not alone. I'd love to know how to contact your teachers to get ideas for approaching this text with this being my first go at this novella!