Margaret Nelson's Reviews > Merchant of Alyss

Merchant of Alyss by Thomas  Locke

It was worth the wait

After reading the first couple of chapters of Thomas Locke's “Merchant of Alyss,” I knew I needed to re-read “Emissary,” the first book in the series, in order to remind myself of the characters. I was glad I did, not only because I enjoyed “Emissary” a lot more the second time around (being more familiar with the whole new fantasy world Locke has created), but also because I was then ready to plunge right into “Merchant of Alyss” without spending a lot of time trying to remember who was who, where the places were, the significance of various events, etc. So, if you haven't read “Emissary,” you definitely want to do so before this new one.

When I finally finished “Merchant of Alyss,” I felt like I was coming back after a long trip to a far distant land. Locke's descriptions and rich vocabulary again bring Hyam's world to life. New characters are introduced who bring more depth to the story and the relationships already in place. The different layers of quests continue to hold the reader's interest, with good treatments of the nature of temptation, responsibility, love, respect, and doing what is right, no matter the cost.

Some loose ends from “Emissary” are tied up, but a lot more are left to be resolved in the next book. I just wish we didn't have to wait a whole year in between sequels!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Merchant of Alyss.

November 10, 2015 – Started Reading