Natália Lopes's Reviews > The Mirk and Midnight Hour

The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson

"Just at the mirk and midnight hour, the fairy folk will ride."
This book was such a surprise, because I really got wrapped in it. Since I didn't like it's predecessor, "Strands of Bronze and Gold" much, I was not particularly excited for this novel, but the dark, Southern gothic feel of this novel really pulled me in. Violet is a much more likable character, and I could fully get her and sympathize with her. I liked her evolution during the novel and how strong and determined she was. The secondary characters were also interesting and most of them very likable. The romance was a welcome touch, it was built naturally and although it dominated the plot for a while, it was necessary and added a lightness to the story.

I also liked that the author added not only a supernatural, fairytale-like antagonist but a human one as well and I actually liked him more than I did the actual 'villains' of the whole thing, mainly because that particular threat felt much more real and terrifying and in that particular time period, it was something awfully common. Also because I don't like that, although bringing slavery and racism to the table, the author still villanifyed African cultures and religions, while it would have been much more interesting to explore it and shed a more positive light on it.

Overall, I felt like it was a stronger, better novel and more interesting than the first volume of this series. The pace was a little slow and the main plot started being developed halfway through the book, but I liked the build-up and getting to know the characters and the setting.

Actual rating: 4.5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mirk and Midnight Hour.

November 11, 2015 – Shelved