Erin Rouleau's Reviews > Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill

I don't know why it's taken me 34 years to discover some very essential things about myself, the most obvious to others, but it has. This book sort of follows that thought, except it's more precise and well written and cuts straight down the middle of things. It's truly about bad behavior and in that, mostly about sex or prostitution of sorts, and I don't relate to the behavior per se, or more the situations, but I relate to these women (mostly). The writing is so astute. There's a sentence or a paragraph in each essay that just nails it for me. Nails a behavior or insight that I could not articulate before. It's uncomfortable and I don't really enjoy reading it and I don't even know that I would recommend it for fear of the subject matter, but it's just so damn good.

The last two essays are my favorite - not overtly sexual, or at all, and just expansive and not all bleakness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Behavior.

November 11, 2015 – Shelved
November 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 23, 2015 – Started Reading
November 27, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Apollinaire (new)

Apollinaire I just finished "The Mare"--quite a leap from "Bad Behavior" in that Gaitskill takes on the most potentially sentimental material of all (love of girl for horse, woman for child)--and it blew me away. No sentiment that didn't seem justified. Can't recommend enough.

Erin Rouleau Ohhhh- that sounds awesome. I love her writing, but don't know that I could take another dark book:)

message 3: by Apollinaire (new)

Apollinaire It's dark in a different way. I listened to the audio, which was excellent.