bobo's Reviews > The Magus

The Magus by John Fowles

Jan 27, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, five-stars
Read 4 times

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magus.

Quotes bobo Liked

John Fowles
“The craving to risk death is our last great perversion. We come from night, we go into night. Why live in night?”
tags: night

John Fowles
“Greece is like a mirror. It makes you suffer. Then you learn.'
To live alone?'
To live. With what you are.”

John Fowles
“Between skin and skin, there is only light.”

John Fowles
“cras amet qui numquam amavit quique amavit cras amet.”

John Fowles
“I don't believe in God. And I certainly don't feel chosen."

"I think you may be."

I smiled dubiously. "Thank you."

"It is not meant as a compliment. Hazard makes you elect. You cannot elect yourself.”
tags: god

John Fowles
“There is no plan. All is hazard. And the only thing that will preserve us is ourselves.”
tags: plan

John Fowles
“Think. In a minute from now you could be saying, I risked death. I threw for life, and I won life. It is a very wonderful feeling. To have survived.”
tags: death

“The dead live."
"How do they live?"
"By love.”
tags: dead, love

John Fowles
“To write poetry and to commit suicide, apparently so contradictory, had really been the same, attempts at escape.”

John Fowles
“The human race is unimportant. It is the self that must not be betrayed."

"I suppose one could say that Hitler didn't betray his self."

"You are right. He did not. But millions of Germans did betray their selves. That was the tragedy. Not that one man had the courage to be evil. But that millions had not the courage to be good.”

John Fowles
“It came to me…that I didn't want to be anywhere else in the world at that moment, that what I was feeling at that moment justified all I had been through, because all I had been through was my being there. I was experiencing…a new self-acceptance, a sense that I had to be this mind and this body, its vices and its virtues, and that I had no other chance or choice.”

John Fowles
“You wish to be liked. I wish simply to be. One day you will know what that means, perhaps. And you will smile. Not against me. But with me.”

John Fowles
“I was too green to know that all cynicism masks a failure to cope - an impotence, in short; and that to despise all effort is the greatest effort of all.”

John Fowles
“If you forget everything else about me, please remember this. I walked down that street and I never looked back and I love you. I love you. I love you so much that I shall hate you for ever for today.”

John Fowles
“Wolves don't hunt singly, but always in pairs. The lone wolf was a myth.”

John Fowles
“The world began in hazard and will end in it.”
tags: end

John Fowles
“You're not me. You can't feel like I feel."
"I can feel."
"No you can't. You just choose not to feel or something and everything's fine."
"It's not fine. It's just not so bad.”

John Fowles
“The most important questions in life can never be answered by anyone except oneself.”

John Fowles
“He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.”

John Fowles
“I read and I read; and I was like a medieval king, I had fallen in love with the picture long before I saw the reality.”

John Fowles
“...all cynicism masks a failure to cope.”

John Fowles
“Why should I struggle through hundreds of pages of fabrication to reach half a dozen very little truths?'
'For fun?'
'Fun!' He pounced on the word. 'Words are for truth. For facts. Not fiction.”