❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️'s Reviews > Troublemaker

5205999

it was ok
bookshelves: linda_howard, audio_books

2 Disappointing Stars!!

I hate that I am so disappointed with a Linda Howard book. When reading the book blurb I was so excited because it sounded like a classic Linda Howard book….I was sorely disappointed. I was expecting a book reminiscent of her “CIA Spies” books. What we get was basically the life of a beloved Golden Retriever in a small West Virginia town. Don’t get me wrong, I love dogs but I don’t want to read a whole book about a dog when I expected a book that was clearly tagged as a romantic suspense!

It started out strong, the first two chapters we’re introduced to Morgan Yancy, an operative and leader of a secret U.S. paramilitary group, who is ambushed and almost killed. When released from the hospital he is whisked away to his superior’s (step) sisters isolated house in a small West Virginia town in order to gain his strength and recover from his injuries while they try to find out who wants him dead.

Isabeau “Bo” Maran is the town’s Police Chief, which is basically a “paperwork only” job she accepted to make a deal with the town, yet she finds herself in the middle of several town disputes. Bo isn’t too happy to have Morgan dropped on her doorstep, her life is just how she likes it, just her and her Golden Retriever Tricks, and he is just inconvenience. They eventually get comfortable around one another but I felt no spark or connection between Bo and Morgan…..at all!!

Troublemaker by LH photo PicsArt_1463011396166_zpswzevej85.jpg

There are twenty-seven chapters in this book and from chapter three to chapter twenty-four it’s allllll about Tricks, with a bit of Morgan, Bo, and town drama thrown in. That left five chapters of suspense and intrigue, hardly enough to satisfy me and overall very disappointing!
Morgan’s ambush story and who was behind it finally picks up at chapter twenty-five and I hate to say it, it was sort of anti-climactic. There was an HEA, but at this point nothing could save the read or bump up my rating.

Sadly, this will be the last new book I purchase from Linda Howard. When I need a fix, I’ll read some of my old favorites (and there are MANY) on her back list.

*I listened to the audio version and Tanya Eby is a fantastic narrator! It was her voice that kept me going, had I read the actual book I’m not sure I would have finished it*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troublemaker.

November 11, 2015 – Shelved
November 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 11, 2015 – Shelved as: linda_howard
May 10, 2016 – Started Reading
May 10, 2016 – Shelved as: audio_books
May 10, 2016 –
25.0% "Kinda tired of hearing about Trix...."
May 11, 2016 –
60.0% "Oh dear lord.....give me patience."
May 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)

Anita I am so disappointed.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Anita wrote: "I am so disappointed."

Yep!!!!!

Anita I can't wait to read your review. Really loved your comment at 60% "Oh dear Lord....give me patience." So true.

message 4: by Naksed (new)

Naksed This sounds like a rehash of her Kell Sabin series. I think you are right in revisiting old favorites. I don't think it gets better than Midnight Rainbow or Diamond Bay.

message 5: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki Oh nooo....only 2 stars. :(

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Vicki wrote: "Oh nooo....only 2 stars. :("

Sadly, yes Vicki. But I seem to be the minority here....

message 7: by ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ (last edited May 13, 2016 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Naksed wrote: "This sounds like a rehash of her Kell Sabin series. I think you are right in revisiting old favorites. I don't think it gets better than Midnight Rainbow or Diamond Bay."

No, the Kell Sabin series was good....this was not even close to it.

message 8: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Well said, Dorsey. Sorry it was a disappointment. :( Linda Howard is one of my favorite authors, but I'm thinking about just skipping this one. :/

message 9: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Bummer, Dorsey! I've ordered this from the library, but I guess I need to reset/lower my expectations if I do read this.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Jessica wrote: "Well said, Dorsey. Sorry it was a disappointment. :( Linda Howard is one of my favorite authors, but I'm thinking about just skipping this one. :/"

Thanks Jessica, LH is one of my all time favorites too and it saddened me to write a negative review and rate one of her books only two stars. If you love and adore Labradors, you may have a different opinion.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Shawna wrote: "Bummer, Dorsey! I've ordered this from the library, but I guess I need to reset/lower my expectations if I do read this."

Shawna, you'll need to go into this book knowing its mostly about a dogs life....we literally get five chapters of the plot/blurb.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Crumb-cakes! But I love dogs, so might give Trix a try.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Kathleen wrote: "Crumb-cakes! But I love dogs, so might give Trix a try."

Enjoy Kathleen!!

Anita Great review. You stated everything that was wrong about this book and I completely agree. As a die hard Linda Howard fan, I was hoping I just wasn't in the mood for this book, but I didn't like it either. The Kell Sabin books are fantastic compared to this one.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Anita wrote: "Great review. You stated everything that was wrong about this book and I completely agree. As a die hard Linda Howard fan, I was hoping I just wasn't in the mood for this book, but I didn't like it..."

Thanks Anita!! I think at this point I'm sticking to her backlist. I love the Kell Sabin books!!

Anita Some authors can write great stories forever and maybe LH will surprise us if she gets to write and publish another book. Every author has a klinker. It is just so disappointing that this one was so eagerly anticipated and so bad.

message 17: by AliciaJ (new) - added it

AliciaJ Well shoot Dorsey, this is just a total bummer! :(. I'll still read it, but at least I know what to expect. Great review!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Alicia wrote: "Well shoot Dorsey, this is just a total bummer! :(. I'll still read it, but at least I know what to expect. Great review!"

Thanks Alicia....had I known myself I would have lowered my high expectations. Enjoy my friend!! x

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Oana wrote: "I cannot believe it is the same author who wrote After the Night and Cry no More.She just lost the edge."

Yeah, sadly true. It's not entirely her fault, she has an illness and the medication has changed her thinking/writing pattern.

message 21: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Sorry this one wasn't a winner for you but great review! I'll just do another Mr. Perfect reread and call it good.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Jen wrote: "Sorry this one wasn't a winner for you but great review! I'll just do another Mr. Perfect reread and call it good."

Thanks Jen, LOVE Mr. Perfect (among many others from her back list)!!!

CD {Boulder Blvd} I just finished it and I so agree with you and I have a Golden Retriever and love "stufff" about Goldens. This was just too much of Tricks and not enough of suspense.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ CD {Boulder Blvd} wrote: "I just finished it and I so agree with you and I have a Golden Retriever and love "stufff" about Goldens. This was just too much of Tricks and not enough of suspense."

I love "stuff" too CD, but, I dont want a whole book of "stuff".

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth So sorry it was a disappointing read. Hopefully her next book will be back to the substance we are used to!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Beth wrote: "So sorry it was a disappointing read. Hopefully her next book will be back to the substance we are used to!"

Thanks Beth!!

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I was going to write a review, but you took the words right off my page. I agree with everything you said, right down to the stars. I'm a huge Linda Howard fan, but I was disappointed. I really struggled (and skimmed) to get to the end of this one.

message 28: by ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ (last edited Aug 22, 2016 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Kim wrote: "I was going to write a review, but you took the words right off my page. I agree with everything you said, right down to the stars. I'm a huge Linda Howard fan, but I was disappointed. I really str..."

Huge disappointment Kim!! It saddened me to write this review and give a rating of two stars!!!

Are you a member of the Linda Howard Book Junkies here on GR's? It's a fun group.

Kathleen Crowell amen to the whole review!!!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Kathleen wrote: "amen to the whole review!!!"

LOL....thanks Kathleen!! I'm assuming you were as frustrated as I was.

Kelly Spot on! I'm about 60% in and have really been struggling through the bulk of that, getting REALLY SICK of Tricks the wonder dog. Enough already!!!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Kelly wrote: "Spot on! I'm about 60% in and have really been struggling through the bulk of that, getting REALLY SICK of Tricks the wonder dog. Enough already!!!"

Yeah....so sad =(

Falla Lola I'm on chapter 5 now...and it's not like all her previous books...don't feel like I want to continue to read. Wasted my $$$

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Falla wrote: "I'm on chapter 5 now...and it's not like all her previous books...don't feel like I want to continue to read. Wasted my $$$"

Yeah, sadly true....it's an expensive book so i feel your pain!!

Geri Reads You took the words right out of my mouth, Dorsey. This was disappointing for me too.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ ♥~♥Geri ~ the Racy Lit Reader ♥~♥ wrote: "You took the words right out of my mouth, Dorsey. This was disappointing for me too."

So sad Geri, really wanted it to be fabulous =(

Colleen I'm 1/3 of the way through this and couldn't agree more. I had a golden and can relate, but this is far from the exciting description of the book

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Colleen wrote: "I'm 1/3 of the way through this and couldn't agree more. I had a golden and can relate, but this is far from the exciting description of the book"

Unfortunately, I agree. I had hoped for so much more.

message 39: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) I don't know what happened to her, but she hasn't been the Linda Howard whose books I fell in love with in years. I haven't read this one, and now I know I won't. Great review, Dorsey.

message 40: by ❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ (last edited Mar 27, 2017 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Elizabeth (Liz) wrote: "I don't know what happened to her, but she hasn't been the Linda Howard whose books I fell in love with in years. I haven't read this one, and now I know I won't. Great review, Dorsey."

Thanks Liz, so very sad. But, happily we have her awesome back list to turn to when we need a LH fix ❤️

message 41: by Teen (new)

Teen I was bummed with this book too. I read it a few years ago before tracking on GR but I remember it being a dud and being disappointed.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Teen wrote: "I was bummed with this book too. I read it a few years ago before tracking on GR but I remember it being a dud and being disappointed."

Definitely a bummer Teen!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Such a bummer...her books have nosedived :(

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySkanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads wrote: "Such a bummer...her books have nosedived :("

Sadly, i agree Val. =/

Tbabe001 Yes ; u nailed it

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Tbabe001 wrote: "Yes ; u nailed it"

Thanks! Sadly, yes.

Miche The second book in the Go Team series, The Woman Left Behind, is excellent! Full of action, intrigue and interesting characters. Well worth a second try!

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Miche wrote: "The second book in the Go Team series, The Woman Left Behind, is excellent! Full of action, intrigue and interesting characters. Well worth a second try!"

Thanks Miche, I’ll give it some thought.

Rosebell I completely agree with your review. To the last line. Word to word. What started as great quickly turned into quite a bore. There was no spark between Morgan n Bo. It was all about Tricks, Tricks n Tricks. Don't get me wrong either, I love Dogs. But while reading this book, one might wonder who is actually the lead characters in the book. Morgan, Bo or the Golden Retriever. At various intervals, I actually thought of dropping away but only my love for Linda Howard previous books made me go forward with this. I can re read many of her books. But sadly not this. I guess I was expecting another Kell Sabin or Zane Mackenzie kind of storyline n was sorely 😟😣. But I will still give the other book in this series a try.

❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ Rosebell wrote: "I completely agree with your review. To the last line. Word to word. What started as great quickly turned into quite a bore. There was no spark between Morgan n Bo. It was all about Tricks, Tricks ..."

Thanks. I haven’t read the newest books in the series, I may at some point......maybe.

« previous 1