Nikki 's Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

bookshelves: fantasy, queer

It took me a long time to get round to reading this. I started and stopped a few times. I think mostly I just didn't want it to come to an end -- and I didn't want to know if something bad happened to a character I loved. N.K. Jemisin is not exactly gentle: Madding, anyone? The ending of The Broken Kingdoms?

Anyway, it turned out to be every bit as readable, well paced and absorbing as the other books. I fell totally in love with Deka from the beginning, and wavered desperately over Shahar, hoping she'd come down on the right side. I was deeply involved in the family, torn by all the conflicting loyalties and needs of the characters.

I think Jemisin wrapped the series up well. There's always more I'd want to see, with a world I loved so much, but I like it the way it is too. She has a way of breathing new life into ideas that I'd be tired of elsewhere, and her trick with narration is a joy to read. The one part that didn't ring true was the chapter from Shahar's point of view, and that wasn't a big problem.

Hopefully I will now get round to the new books faster than I got round to this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.

January 27, 2011 – Shelved
October 6, 2011 – Started Reading
October 6, 2011 –
page 199
32.46% "Started pretty much as soon as it arrived this morning. Heeee."
August 14, 2012 –
page 162
26.43% "Started again from the beginning, because I suck and never managed to find the time to finish it."
August 20, 2012 – Finished Reading