Tracey the Lizard Queen's Reviews > Sand

Sand by Hugh Howey

12009673

liked it
bookshelves: 2015-reads, sci-fi

I don't know why I just don't connect with Howey's writing. I should. I really should. All the ingredients are there. I'll admit I wasn't expecting to like it, considering the issues I had with Wool Omnibus, but I was hoping to be excited by it. And, yes there are some imaginative bits, (loved the sand diving) it was all just a bit bland. I think my biggest issue with it is the chapter length. They're way too short, the longest about 2 1/2 pages!

I found the story believable, although the writing let it down a little. The characters were reasonable, pretty decent in fact. Besides, how much detail can an author fit in 2 pages? You would then think the plot is pretty fast paced, well it isn't. It's too short to have all the details I like and too detailed for such a short(ish) read. So we end up somewhere in the middle and it just doesn't work for me. The world-building was good, I love this author's imagination, I just don't seem to be seeing exactly what he is. I just want more details.

I'll keep trying Howey's work, I hope I'll find something that I truly love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sand.

November 11, 2015 – Started Reading
page 175
November 24, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 25, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reads
November 25, 2015 – Shelved as: sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Murat (new)

Murat I realise that I always have difficulties to connect with the story if any book I read have very short chapters. I really don't understand why they do that

Tracey the Lizard Queen I'm not sure why, I think they were initially published separately. Like a series of short stories. Its a shame, I think I would really like something with a bit more depth.