Ellen's Reviews > The End of Plenty: the Race to Feed a Cowded World

The End of Plenty by Joel K. Bourne

Nov 10, 2015

bookshelves: story, character

Reading this books is a mix of despair and hope, with the balance towards despair, but even a small amount of hope can be powerful. There are many accounts of squandering agricultural resources, of misusing land, and of poisoning. This book takes us through accounts from many places in the world, showing agricultural practices which do not work in the long term, despite some amazing short term benefits, and also looks at other practices which may be more sustainable The importance of long term thinking is highlighted.

This books has a strong focus on story, but also character as the stories of the different farmers are highlighted.

This books also highlights the importance for more people to understand the implications of their food choices, but also to know more about the agricultural practices used as these vary a lot from country to country.

This is not cheery reading, as there is much to despair of, but there is some hope, and more informed and more active communities can help.

The author has a strong focus on the work of T R Malthus, and this shapes many of the ideas in this work.

I read this book because I follow the blog Make wealth history. I also follow Jeremy Williams on Goodreads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Plenty.

November 10, 2015 – Started Reading