Debbie's Reviews > Wolfsbane

1945325
Jan 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: moon

It pains me not to give this book a higher rating because I absolutely loved Nightshade. I have to admit that a large part of my problem with the book was Shay. If you read my review of Nightshade you know I am not a huge fan of his and he was even worse in this book. I can officially say I think he is a douche bag. He claims to love Calla and he is supposed to be this savior of them all but he still acts like a spoiled child. He pretty much brushes off the fact that Ren put his own life in danger by helping Calla and Shay escape. He gets pissed off when Calla won't have sex or admit she loves him while she's mourning leaving her pack behind. He also gets uber-jealous when she even comments on liking a guy even though he flirts and hangs out with another girl and insists to Calla there is nothing to be jealous of. The real kicker for me was when they find out the Nightshades are in trouble and Calla wants to go rescue them where Shay is all for writing them off as casualties of war. If he really is supposed to take Ren's place as the alpha of this pack I can't believe he would behave like that even if he's so head over heels over Calla. I've been pretty certain since the first book that Calla will end up with Shay when all is said and done and I just hope something happens in book 3 that redeems Shay.

My other issue over this book is that Calla has gone the way of the whiny female heroine who moans and groans over which boy does she really love and gets so caught up in her own love life that she misses totally obvious things like who the Searcher, Monroe, really is. I was thinking to myself are you really that clueless? I know you have a lot going on but come on. I really think the book spent way too much time on Calla's internal debates about Shay vs. Ren and the story only really gets going towards the last half or quarter.

The ending does really pick up the pace and I did enjoy it more possibly because there is not so much Shay time. There are a few twists you don't really expect which always makes the reading experience more enjoyable. Overall, I was sort of let down because I had such high expectations but it wasn't a bad book. In fact, if you are a Shay fan you will probably love it.lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsbane.

message 1: by Anaiz (new) - added it

Anaiz Oh no I'm scared to read this, I hate Shay lol :D

Debbie lol. I cannot stand him! I keep hoping something will drastically change and she'll end up with Ren but I doubt it. There was too much set up in the first to make it look like she's "destined" to be with Shay. :(

Dija Ugh, I was dying to read Wolfsbane, but now I'm not so sure anymore. I'm going to really miss Ren if he's as infrequent in this book as I'm guessing :(

Debbie Ren isn't present for a lot of the book but there are a few things that happen with him that definitely leave you eager for the next book to find out what happens.

message 5: by Carolina (new)

Carolina how did you read this book already? i havent read the first one yet. I own it already, but im contemplating if it will be worth my time. Even just reading the summary I'm already leaning towards Ren. I hate when I read a book and the guy that I want the girl to be with is not the guy that she will end up with. So maybe I'll give it a go....

Debbie I received a review copy. I loved the first book other than Shay! lol. The story itself is interesting and is what keeps me reading despite my loathing of Shay.

Debbie I totally agree! Ren has issues but still better than Shay. Ren seems more of a man and Shay a spoiled brat. The other characters that are introduced are great though.

message 8: by Allana (new)

Allana shay was annoying in the first book, i am mad that it gets even worse in the second. why doesnt she want to have sex with shay? is there hope that she still has a thing for ren?

Debbie Seriously! What is the attraction. She is still waffling but I've gotten the feeling since the first book she will end with Shay just to prove she doesn't have to be with who she's told.

message 10: by Allana (new)

Allana i agree she is trying to b a rebel

Pallavi how did u read the book already? did u a ARC?

Debbie Yes, I had an ARC for Wolfsbane.

Petra Sýkorová I just finished Nightshade and I really don't like Shay! Oh, no, I hate him! I wanted to punch him when he was like: Shay: "Oh, I have this book and I want you to read it!" Calla: "No! I can NOT read it! It's forbidden! I can die only for reading!" Shay: "So... let's read it! Hooraaay! And then we will have SECRET!" Aaaargh! Spoiled brat. I am definitely TEAM REN!!! 'cause even if he acts like jerk sometimes, he IS the-alpha-man! I really, really HOPE that he and Calla will end together 'cause I think they should be together... screw Shay!

Debbie I know right! He was so self centered about things that were important to Calla. He didn't even try to understand why she might want to marry Ren or follow the rules that she was brought up following.

Petra Sýkorová YES! It was like everything was only about him! He doesn't think that tradition was everything what she had... what her family had and even when they didn't like it, they accepted that. He even didn't try to understand her world. It was all like "oh, maybe I am only human but I AM better then all of you 'cause I KNOW what Hobbes wrote! And I read a lot, of course! Mostly comix but this doesn't matter 'cause comixes are about real world" I. REALLY. HATE. HIM. Sorry :D

message 16: by Allana (new)

Allana he doesnt understand her like Ren does

message 17: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee lol i think we are all team ren here lol i hope that in the 3rd she gets on the right tracks and leaves shay and goes back to ren and her pack and leaves him behind!

Debbie Here's hoping!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm team Ren too, though I dont hate Shay I just wish Calla will be end up with Ren.All the fun action happens when he's around and besides all the bad things that happen to Calla are mostly Shay's fault

message 20: by Allana (new)

Allana @lia
that is true Shay is bad luck

Debbie I think it's because Shay is too impulsive and doesn't really think things through beyond if it benefits himself.

message 22: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Why cant Calla love ren i mean things would be a lot easier for her and the packs!

message 23: by Astoria (new)

Astoria Is there at least enough Ren?

Debbie There isn't as much Ren but what you do see is pretty mind blowing so you don't want to miss it. It's definitely going to leave you wanting book 3 right away.

message 25: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee does something bad happen to ren?

Debbie You have to read it :) He doesn't die or anything but something unexpected, at least to me, does happen.

message 27: by Sammy-leigh (new) - added it

Sammy-leigh Gough owww, I was clinging onto the hope that Calla would see sense and choose Ren- what does she see in Shay??

message 28: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Maybe andrea might make the 3rd book and change it so that she is with Ren for that one and so Shay can be left all alone
I know thats bad but i dont like Shay :)

FragmentsofInk I totally couldn't stand Shay either!! Thank you lord there are others that felt the same! Way too pushy...especially at the expense of Calla's safety. Not to mention straight up annoying. I'm all for Ren. Fingers crossed that he plays a larger role in the third book at least....

message 30: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Yep you said it :)
I mean whys calla so hung up on shay i mean like what has he ever done to help calla other then risking her safety and putting her in danger compared to Ren who does his best to keep the whole pack together and safe :)

message 31: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani SPOILERS FOR NIGHTSHADE IN THIS COMMENT

i know i was realy looking forwards to reading wolfsbane but now i am not to sure- and i agree that calla seems alittle shallow. i wish that something would happen to shay or he did something bad so that calla will be with ren. why couldnt she just kill shay at that ceremony. i dont like the way the covern is run- that the wolves have to obay them nasty people!!!!- although you could see it a mile off when she turned him into a wolf!!!

message 32: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee i didnt see why she turned him into a wolf i know tht she was going to die but still i dont think he's going to do well as a wolf and why can't she be with Ren i mean come on its obvious that he cares for her and she knows that she cares deeply for him too so why can't they just be together :'(

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

really wish Calla would choose ren, although the outcome's pretty obvious :(

message 34: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee maybe in the 3rd book she will actually give ren a chance for once :P

message 35: by Allana (new)

Allana hopefully

message 36: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee i'll kepp wishing :D lol

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

keep hoping :)
but if it's like twilight, then she'll choose shay
im so pessimistic DX

message 38: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee she's going to end up choosing shay anyway thats what normally happens in these type of books :(

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I know
*sigh

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

She has to. I mean, all Shay ever did was question everything Calla did. Stupid. Blind. Calla.

message 41: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee well if she does end up with Ren i will be very very shocked but very very happy :)
But if that doesnt happen im just hoping Shay changes for the better :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

same here

message 43: by SW (new) - rated it 2 stars

SW Team Ren over here. I just hope this love triangle doesn't turn out to be like the Hunger Games Love Triangle.....

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

That'd suck

message 45: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee If it does I will seriously go on strike and stop reading the series

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

ditto

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I just got an ARC of Wolfsbane, but I'm scared to read it. I do want to know what happens, but if Calla doesn't give Ren at least a chance, I'm seriously going to stop reading the series.

Ottilie omg this is good to know!! I really really liked Ren! I highly disliked Shay I agree he tries to hard and acts like a spoiled child. I have to wait till July to get a copy, but if he's worse then in Nightshade that's going to bother me. I really hope Calla snaps out of it and understands that Ren just has a hard exterior and is really trying!

message 49: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Yh i have to wait until july as well until i get to read this book but i hope the wait is worth it! :D

Kerena ali how to get an ARC?

« previous 1