Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Magic Stars

Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

A few things to know in advance:

1. You CANNOT skip this novella. I'm not saying that b/c love the Andrews (which I bloody well do). I'm saying that b/c at least three major events take place in this book. THREE. At least.

2. We finally get in Derek's head. A lot of you have been concerned about Boy Wonder for awhile now. As the series progresses, he gets more and more withdrawn, more and more . . . cardboard. This is worrisome. We know the circumstances surrounding his entrance to the Pack, and, just like his face since the rakshasas got ahold of him in MAGIC STRIKES, they aren't pretty.

What we didn't know is how much harder he struggles for equilibrium than the average shapeshifter. How useless he feels now that he can no longer charm important information out of persons of interest for Pack security. How he's reconciled himself to a Lone Wolf's existence.

In MAGIC STARS, we learn all that and so much more.

3. We learn what Julie's been up to. Besides learning to wield tomahawks and occasionally hanging out with Roland when Kate's not looking.

Dollface has been busy.

Our story opens with Derek ambushing a group of men who killed a family who were business acquaintances of Kate and co. Only his desire to know why these men murdered the Iveses keeps him from slaughtering them when he kicks their door down, and find out he does: they were mercenaries hired to retrieve a rock for a warlock named Caleb Adams.

BUT. They didn't recover the rock. *whispers* Maybe b/c they killed the Iveses rather than asking them where it was. Eejits.

Whatever. Derek heads back to the Iveses' home to look for it himself--If Caleb Adams wants it, Caleb Adams isn't going to get it.

Caleb Adams is goin' down.

Where does Julie come into all this?

Read it and find out. Suffice it to say that this is definitely a team effort, and, man alive, do they make an excellent team. *waggles eyebrows*

Mythology-wise, I loved the Fae feel of this novella's obstacles. I suspect at least two of the creatures have their roots in Russian fairy tales (probably all three), but Fae-like creatures are Fae-like creatures no matter whence they hail.

But none of that matters, b/c you have to read it anyway.

If you read Kate Daniels , I don't highly recommend this book . . . I INSIST you read it. And all the real fangirls (and boys) will. So next year, when you're gearing up to read KATE #9, and you see a bunch of posts like, "OMG, what's Hugh (<------hell, yes, I did just name drop) going to do now that _______?!" or, "Is Julie going to tell Kate ________?" you won't get to spew your righteous anger b/c spoilers, b/c NOT SPOILERS. Not if you're current.

So get current. *winks*

Jessica Signature

Pre-review:

Maybe 5.0 stars. I need time to reassemble both my head and my heart b/c OHMYGAWD, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

description

If you read KATE DANIELS, you have to read this novella. HAVE to. ENDGAME-changing stuff happens. I'm not exaggerating. GET READY. December is right around the freaking corner.

My other reviews for this series:

A Questionable Client (Kate Daniels, #0.5)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)
Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels, #4.5)
Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
Retribution Clause (Kate Daniels, #5.6)
An Ill-Advised Rescue (Kate Daniels, #5.8)
Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
Magic Steals (Kate Daniels, #6.5)
Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
Iron and Magic (Kate Daniels, #9.5)
Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
Curran POV Collection

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Stars.

November 10, 2015 – Started Reading
November 10, 2015 – Shelved
November 10, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)

Angela Gah!!! You're KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Angelaaaaaa, you will DIE. Three times, at least.

Angela O.M.G

I might die a few times before I even get it in my hands!!

Angela And I've really got to figure out a way in on this beta-ing thing.

Jilly Did you request it on Net Galley?

message 6: by Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more (last edited Nov 10, 2015 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Angela wrote: "And I've really got to figure out a way in on this beta-ing thing."

Stalk their blog, yo! The second you see a call up for beta readers, follow the instructions and email them IMMEDIATELY.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Jilly wrote: "Did you request it on Net Galley?"

No, they're independently publishing this one. They asked for beta readers on their blog yesterday.

Aarann I'm assuming this was an ARC? I can't even find anything on this on the website or a pre-order link. Do you have any inside info on when this will be available?

message 9: by Angela (last edited Nov 10, 2015 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Yeah, I didn't see it for a couple hours after the blog went up. I'm going to have to stalk them* more closely. LOL

**ETA: And by "them" I mean their blog...just to clarify in case anyone gets the wrong idea. I'm no Annie Marie.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Aarann wrote: "I'm assuming this was an ARC? I can't even find anything on this on the website or a pre-order link. Do you have any inside info on when this will be available?"

I'm sure they'll post preorder links on their blog when it's ready.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Angela wrote: "Yeah, I didn't see it for a couple hours after the blog went up. I'm going to have to stalk them* more closely. LOL

HA. Internet stalking is not stalking stalking.

I'll try to remember to shoot you a PM the next time I see one go up. Are you good enough at grammar for one of their copy edit betas, or do you wanna stick to a content beta?

Aarann Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "Yeah, it's an independent novella they're publishing in time for Christmas. I beta read the just finished version ;)

I'm sure they'll post preorder links on their blog when it's ready."

So... So I have to wait? A whole month and a half? For a game-changing Kate Daniels book?

message 13: by Angela (last edited Nov 10, 2015 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela I'm good for either - I actually used to edit for a small e-publisher. :D

And that'd be awesome! Thank you :D

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Aarann wrote: "Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "Yeah, it's an independent novella they're publishing in time for Christmas. I beta read the just finished version ;)

I'm sure they'll post preorder..."

That the saddest face EVER, LOL. On the bright side, you get a game-changing Kate Daniels novella 8 months before the next book ;)

THE GLASS IS HALF FULL.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Angela wrote: "I'm good for either - I actually used to edit for a small e-publisher. :D

And that'd be awesome! Thank you :D"

Yes, ma'am!

Suyapa ;_; omg. I. can't wait!

message 17: by ♛Tash (new) - added it

♛Tash Omgahhh, what is this? I must have this!

Whitney Gah! I'm so jealous and impatient!

Cathryn I didn't know they had a novella coming out. AWESOME!!!

Corina☞BookTwinsReviews Incredible news!!!!

message 21: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Lol. Sounds great!

Blodeuedd Finland Oh no, I can't request it :/ I have not read book 8! Waiting for a paperback. WIll so forget about this one

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Suyapa wrote: ";_; omg. I. can't wait!"

Your head will explode. In a good way.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Tash wrote: "Omgahhh, what is this? I must have this!"

Independent novella they're releasing around Christmas. And YES. You must.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Whitney wrote: "Gah! I'm so jealous and impatient!"

*offer chocolate and sympathy* At least you don't have to wait too long . . .

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Cathryn wrote: "I didn't know they had a novella coming out. AWESOME!!!"

*high fives*

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Corina wrote: "Incredible news!!!!"

Yes, it's always a good day when you find out MORE ILONA ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Joanita wrote: "Lol. Sounds great!"

I can't. My words are broken. BUT YOU NEED TO GET CURRENT (<------not to be confused with CURRAN. Whom you also need). >:D

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Blodeuedd wrote: "Oh no, I can't request it :/ I have not read book 8! Waiting for a paperback. WIll so forget about this one"

I will not let you ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "I. Can't. Even. Jessica, you TRAITOR."

Pfft. Not a traitor. Just very, very lucky ;)

Robin (Bridge Four) Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

Although I have to actually go back and re-read the last 30% since I forgot to do anything beta related I was so into the story.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Weird I didn't even know about this one

Will put on my waiting for release list

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Robin wrote: "Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

*SPIRIT FINGER EXPLOSION* I'm happier than I've ever been about a BR b/c my head might have fallen off (b/c it just quit), if I'd had to read it alone. *tackle hugs*

And YES. SO GOOD.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Also, I'm still wading through my comments, too ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* wrote: "Weird I didn't even know about this one

Will put on my waiting for release list"

Yes, please do that. This one really isn't optional.

Robin (Bridge Four) Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

Exactly. ...so many fantastic things that it would have been almost impossible

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Robin wrote: "Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

Although I have to actually go back and re-read the la..."

Even being able to talk to you about it, it's STILL
SO HARD. THE THINGS!! THE THINGS THAT HAPPEN!

Robin (Bridge Four) Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

Although I have to actually go back and ..."

So many great things....really fantastic things. You only have to wait a month and a half. You can do it and then relive it all again.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Robin wrote: "You can do it and then relive it all over again."

And we will >:D

Robin (Bridge Four) ^ exactly....loved it.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "I. Can't. Even. Jessica, you TRAITOR."

Pfft. Not a traitor. Just very, very lucky ;)"

Lucky is another word for traitor, where I come from:P

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Robin wrote: "Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

Well well well, aren't we feeling a little smug today?

Robin (Bridge Four) ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

a smidge maybe....

*holds breath as Sarah forms a mutiny against me to take over the IAA group completely*

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Jessica ❁ THE BOOK ENABLER ❁ Rabid Reads wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "I. Can't. Even. Jessica, you TRAITOR."

Pfft. Not a traitor. Just very, very..."

Sounds like a lovely place ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Robin wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jessica!!! It was SO good. I'm really happy I got to beta read this with you.

Although I have to actually go ..."

*has Robin's back* *mutiny will never happen* *gives Sarah more wine* just in case . . .

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Yes, I do come from a lovely place, Jessica. Not a fluffy bunny or pastel-colored rainbow in sight. Only bloodshed, doom and destruction. And wine, obviously. You and Robin are both welcome to visit anytime you want. We have lovely rooms with no furniture or windows for smug traitors like you.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Hahahaha! Thank you for the offer, but I prefer comfy chairs, vodka, and rainbows ;) No bunnies though. Maybe a cat.

Robin (Bridge Four) ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: ""

LOL...get your collection started today.

« previous 1 3