Barb (Boxermommyreads)'s Reviews > A Likely Story

A Likely Story by Jenn McKinlay

Nov 10, 2015

bookshelves: 2015

This is one of my favorite cozy mysteries and the sixth installment did not disappoint. I am quickly discovering that I love books set in quiet little towns (I call in the Stars Hollow Affect) and Briar Creek is no exception. Lindsey, the main character and town librarian, once again finds herself in the middle of a town murder and uses her librarian savvy and amateur detective skills to help solve it.

I love that several side characters are more prominent in this story, especially the real police woman in town, and as always like seeing Lindsey interact with some old favorites. The mystery did have me guessing through most of it and even if you may know "who done it," McKinlay has a way of adding in some twists and turns so it never plays out exactly as the reader anticipates.

I really do not like love triangles much in books, but since this is a series, and the relationships develop over time, the triangle in this book doesn't bother me much. However, I will say that while the book ends on somewhat of a cliff hanger, given some things that happen in the book, it really shouldn't be as much of one as some readers make it out to be. I also missed Heathcliff, Lindsey's dog, who wasn't mentioned much in this installment. However, there is a really cute short story at the end of the main novel which definitely made up for his absence.

I will continue on with series as long as McKinlay keeps writing it. It never disappoints and if you enjoy cozy mysteries and reading, I don't know how you could pass up this one featuring one cool librarian!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Likely Story.

November 10, 2015 – Started Reading
November 10, 2015 – Shelved
November 12, 2015 –
page 256
84.21% "A long day in the waiting room at the hospital should have seen the completion of this one - if the darn relatives hadn't insisted on talking to me! Hopefully I will find out "who done it" tonight."
November 13, 2015 – Finished Reading