Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Nov 10, 2015

bookshelves: own, fantasy-all, childrens, favorites
Read 2 times. Last read December 6, 2017.

Re-Read 2017

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I'M GOING TO ADD MY BIG OLE SPOILER THING FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T READ THESE BOOKS YET. I'M ALSO GOING TO ADD A FEW PICTURES THAT ARE IN THE BOOK SO YOU CAN SEE HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS AND RUN OUT AND BUY IT, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

LET US BEGIN!

Poor Harry's parents were killed by VOLDEMORT! Yep, I said it :-) So Dumbledore (the head honcho) and the gang decide to leave Harry with his mother's sister, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon and their brat of a son, Dudley. This was a huge mistake because they were so mean to him growing up. He had to live in a cupboard under the stairs and wear Dudley's hand-me-downs. They didn't get him gifts or do anything nice for him. :-( They didn't even tell him what really happened to his parents, what they were and what he was... until one day.. on his eleventh birthday he started getting all of these letters in the mail inviting him to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. But his stupid family tried to keep the letters from Harry, this didn't go over well and we get to meet sweet, wonderful Hagrid. :-)

Hagrid is stunned that Harry doesn't know anything about anything and begins to fill him in, he also brings him a cake for his bday :-)

Moving on.. so Harry finds out about all the things he needs to find out about and Hagrid carts him off to the bank to get all of this money his parents left for him so he can buy supplies for school! I just loved in the movies and the books when they went shopping at Diagon Alley. I want to go there!

After Harry gets to school he gets into Gryffindor with his new friends, Ron, Hermione (my heroine), all of the Weasley's, and Neville. There are a lot of sweet people in their house.

He has an arch nemesis named Malfoy that get into Slytherin, the house Voldemort was in at one time.

Soooooo.... I'm not going to tell every little thing about the book as most have read it and some that haven't just might take a little peek :-)

Let's sum this up to say that Harry gets on the Quidditch team (read to find out what that is), there are trolls with nasty snot, a secret the group are trying to figure out, great times spent with Hagrid, many magical moments and an appearance of sorts by someone that will not be named......

I'm going to leave you with some pictures from the book, I had no idea that Jim Kay who is the illustrator is the same man who illustrated, "A Monster Calls," by Patrick Ness and he also has a rescued greyhound like me :-) Yay! ...OH and there will be no captions to the pictures, you can figure out most yourself or just look at the pretty pictures, just know that there are many more pictures in the book and all of the pages have something cool on them! I highly recommend this edition of the book!

I will say again to go out and buy this illustrated edition, it's so wonderful and I can't wait to get the rest of them in the illustrated editions!!!!!!!! Like yesterday!!!!!! Kudos to J.K. Rowling for writing the series and to Jim Kay for his wonderful illustrations! Professor McGonagall approves :-)

I LOVED TAKING THIS TRIP BACK DOWN MEMORY LANE WITH THE GROUP AND THE MAGIC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

November 10, 2015 – Started Reading
November 10, 2015 – Shelved
November 10, 2015 – Shelved as: own
November 10, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy-all
November 10, 2015 – Shelved as: childrens
November 10, 2015 –
0.0% "Why the hell are these not listed separate since it's new with illustrations? I couldn't find it until I went to the original book!"
page 24
9.38% "I just love the illustrations in the book :-)"
page 52
20.31% "I'm loving this, it's so much more magical with the illustrations. Yay!"
page 74
28.91% "Past night night. Hard to put Harry down, especially now that it's all pretty too. I hope all of the other books come out illustrated. Like next week :-). Night night all ❤"
page 93
page 118
46.09% "I must say, I think I'm going to fill this review with the beautiful artwork from the book!"
page 159
page 186
December 27, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 29, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
December 6, 2017 – Started Reading
December 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Murkypoke (new)

Murkypoke I've never read Harry Potter - you too? or a re-read?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I can't believe you have never read Harry. I read all of them as they came out and have them all and now I'm getting this illustrated series ❤

Parvathy Ooh..I love Harry potter...which is your favourite book??

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I love them all :) ♥

Parvathy :) :) how is the illustrated book?? Is it illustrations good??

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I think the illustrations are awesome. I haven't started it yet. I might start tonight or tomorrow. I flipped through it and hugged and petted it though :)

message 7: by Murkypoke (new)

Murkypoke nobody can believe I haven't read Harry Potter :} but it's true - don't know why - at the time it just seemed way too popular and now it seems passe?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin There are a lot of people out there that still haven't read it. Hopefully you will read it someday :)

Annerlee I'm just the same as you Murkypoke but I'm hoping to start a buddy read with a couple of others very soon. You're welcome to join if you like! (Great username by the way).

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Enjoy Annerlee :-)

message 11: by Murkypoke (new)

Murkypoke Annerlee that might be the thing to get me to actually read it - doing it with others. Let me know when / how it's happening... thanks!

Trish It really looks amazing! I saw the spreadsheet of Diagon Alley in a promo video and was stunned by how beautiful it was. I loved the illustrations in A Monster Calls so I expected greatness - and apparently he doesn't disappoint.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I had some pics of Diagon Alley and a few more but I thought I better stop. Lol

It's amazing and he does amazing work as well! Now, if we can just get our tote bags that go with the book! 0_0

Trish Yes! Please!

message 16: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby I got this one for Christmas. Definitely collecting them all one by one when they come out. So beautiful!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin OH I'm so glad you got it Abby! :-) It's so beautiful to look at, I really want all of them to come out like... tomorrow.. or yesterday.. I know.. we have to wait. Sigh :-) ♥

Chelsea Humphrey I've got to get this!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Yes! You do, you will love it :-)

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Beautiful! Excellent review and I love the pictures :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you Deanna :-) The pictures in the book are beautiful.

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I hope people continue to read and watch this series for tons of years to come. It deserves that. Best series ever!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I totally agree with you hon :-)

message 24: by Kaitlin (new) - added it

Kaitlin I have been saving up for this

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin You will love it :-)

message 26: by Emily (last edited Aug 22, 2016 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Great review!! Love this book. I've read the series so many times I can't keep count. Check out my quiz for this book, here's the link,

Kevin I agree with you Melissa! The illustrations just add to the magical and brilliant story!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know right =). I have the third book on pre-order. Eeep!

Aileene The illustrations are maaaad! Thank you for this trip back down memory lane. Have mad love for this series!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know! They are amaze balls!! I want them all now =). I have the third one on pre-order on Amazon =)

message 32: by Aileene (last edited Mar 26, 2017 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aileene I'm coveting and wanting to buy them too!
Lucky you. Enjoy it for both of us...for all of us who haven't bought them yet :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin You will get them =)

Trish I have the deluxe edition but we haven't gotten news on the 3rd one yet. There is a cover revealed for the normal illustrated edition but not the other one. I know I'm being pedantic since publication is still so far away, but I'm addicted to them despite their enormous weight!

Aileene Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "You will get them =)"

Haha. Is this your virtual attempt to convince and push me? No dangling chain that moves side to side and monotonous voice saying: you will get them?

Aileene Trish wrote: "I have the deluxe edition but we haven't gotten news on the 3rd one yet. There is a cover revealed for the normal illustrated edition but not the other one. I know I'm being pedantic since publicat..."

Wowser! No, not pedantic at all.

Trish *lol* What can I say?! I'm a bookworm and a Potterhead. ;P

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Aileene wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "You will get them =)"

PEER PRESSURE :-D

I think the 3rd one I pre-ordered from Amazon comes out in November. I'm too lazy to go look. Lol. I can't wait to see the freaking illustrations.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Bookworming Potterhead =).

Aileene Peer pressure is INDEED very effective.

message 42: by Celise (new) - added it

Celise Isn't it gorgeous!? I go the illustrated version of the first two as a gift for Christmas.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin What a great Christmas present! I would have loved that. I bought the first two myself and have the third one on pre-order. =) I want them to all come out at once. But then we would all be mad because we couldn't afford them right now. Hmmm, guess that's not such a good idea!

message 44: by Celise (new) - added it

Celise Yeah I thought so too! They were from my boyfriend and I thought they were very thoughtful :) I'm just hoping the future ones all end up mostly matching the way the first two do! And yeah not affordable all at once haha.

Katarzyna F I love the whole series, it 'made' my childhood. I've read it about 7 times and I'm still getting back , a beautiful story for everyone :)

message 47: by Kim A (new)

Kim A I have not read one book in this series and am thinking if making it my reading goal of next year where I read them all. Love the cover of this one!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Katarzyna wrote: "I love the whole series, it 'made' my childhood. I've read it about 7 times and I'm still getting back , a beautiful story for everyone :)"

I agree =)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Kim A wrote: "I have not read one book in this series and am thinking if making it my reading goal of next year where I read them all. Love the cover of this one!"

You have to! =)

message 50: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fabulous💕😊