EZRead eBookstore's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Jan 26, 2011

bookshelves: jenifer-reviews

I don’t want to give a shred of information away about “The Girl Who Played With Fire,” or all of your “OH SWEET LORD” moments will be ruined. And there are plenty of those moments to be had. “The Girl Who Played With Fire” comes highly recommended, even more so than “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” and I’m about to prove, scientifically of course, how that’s possible.

All of my minor, nitpicky complaints about “Dragon Tattoo” somehow vanish in “Fire”, as if Larsson was able to cross over from the other side, go back in time, and take all of my advice. Firstly, Salander was inherently the most interesting character in “Tattoo”, but I felt like we didn’t get enough of her. “Fire” solves this by making her the central character. Also, the end of “Tattoo” felt incredibly long and dragged out considering all the problems were totally resolved 100 pages before the end. “Fire” ends perfectly, right after the action when you already KNOW everything will be worked out. Now, I’m not saying both books don’t have their fair share of long sandwich making scenes, or lengthy random bits, but my god, “The Girl who Played with Fire” is INTENSE.

Perfectly timed, tons of twists, and lots of satisfaction. Salander is the kind of character I wish there were more of: a sociopathic genius with a flair for revenge. Having an intelligent female lead who is actually able to defend herself is so rare, but Larsson doesn’t pat himself on the back for his service to the female image. Salander just is. After reading the book, I suddenly have the desire to punch creepy men on subways and start bench pressing. Is it wrong?

If you’ve already gotten through “Tattoo”, don’t hesitate to start “The Girl Who Played With Fire” because it’s a massively dense book. IT IS AWESOME.

EZ Read Staffer Jenifer

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.