Marcus's Reviews > Life Debt

Life Debt by Chuck Wendig

it was ok

I found this less enjoyable than the first book. With the novelty of the series worn off, the relatively unexciting main cast becomes more aggravating. The interludes also seemed less fun. I suppose the lack of the pre-TFA hype I had with the first book doesn't help.

Even standouts of the first book Sloane and Sinjir fell fairly flat for me here. There were certainly some good moments; off the top of my head the deranged Imperial remnant on Kashyyyk comes to mind. For the most part, though, the book lacks a strong payoff.

And, to my great dismay, the Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax was tremendously disappointing. His repetitive smugness does not sustain interest or enjoyment throughout the book.

I'll be looking forward to book 3 to see the Battle of Jakku play out and so on, but I now feel like it's gonna be a rather perfunctory affair. Like I just wanna read it and be done with the series. Maybe Gallius Rax will seem like a halfway worthwhile character when the conclusion rolls around, but I doubt it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Debt.

November 9, 2015 – Shelved