A Klue's Reviews > Stop in the Name of Love

Stop in the Name of Love by Nina Bruhns

it was ok

Let me try to make this review as simple as possible:

Russell Bridger = Arrogant, self-centered, thinks he is God’s gift to women, undercover cop pretending to be part of a road construction crew who had no qualms about using Mary Alice on a personal and/or professional level, at least throughout most of the story. I couldn’t help but picture an overly cocky, obnoxious Kurt Russell type character who likely winks and blows himself kisses when he walks by a mirror. In fact, he probably carries a mirror in his back pocket just so he can remind himself throughout the day how handsome he is. Now throw in his fixation on his dead mother, and I found him more creepy than endearing.

Mary Alice Flannery = Wishy-washy, hand wringer, ready to blame everyone for her own stupidity, caves in too easily, and certainly deserves a better love interest.

Writing style = Whiplash effect with overly done dialog that grew tiresome. Not just between the main couple, but inner thoughts, as well. “I want this relationship/I don’t want to be in any relationship” was the mantra played out repeatedly on both sides. Also, what was with the weird tongue touching deal? Yeah, he told her to stick out her tongue. After she did, he touched his to hers, and she thought that was so romantic. Are they in middle school? This girl clearly needs to date more.

Plot = Not credible and only mildly engaging. Come on. Road construction that went on for days in front of the heroine’s house, and she, a woman everyone knows hasn’t dated in over three years, shacks up with the guy in charge of holding the stop/slow sign within a matter of days.

Combine these two characters insecurities and doubts about whether they should be together even temporarily, and I found myself finally not caring one way or another. The police case involving Charlie tried to wrap up the story on a suspenseful note, but felt too predictable/orchestrated.

Book cover = Looks like a cover that belongs on a vampire romance. I swear the heroine looks like her eyes could start glowing red any second.

So, my fellow romance book-loving friends, this one just didn’t work for me. Not even the book cover.

Title: Stop in the Name of Love, Author: Nina Bruhns, Pages: 262, stand-alone, HEA, no cheating, no love triangles

(This review is based on NetGalley ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stop in the Name of Love.

November 9, 2015 – Started Reading