C. Vescio's Reviews > 99 Percent Kill

99 Percent Kill by Doug  Richardson

Read 2 times

I don’t know where to start. This book was a profound, violent, sexy, slap to the hard-boiled face that kept me guessing to the end. When I finished, I wanted to eat a whole cake, down two shots of whiskey, and take a scalding shower all at the same time. Doug Richardson knows how to operate a roller coaster of orchestrated chaos and keep you strapped in until the end. His main character, down and out Los Angeles detective, Lucas “Lucky” Dey is a guy who has grown on me exponentially since the end of Blood Money. I find myself cheering for Lucky- who screwballs between living up to his name and being cursed by it. He’s believable and oddly relatable even if he gets himself into the most harrowing array of dangerous situations.

This time, Lucky is tasked with finding the teenage runaway of a Wisconsin millionaire. What ensues is a fascinating tale of interweaving lives and impressionable characters- whether they are good or bad. Andrew: the desperate, wimpy father, Herm: the sleazy casting agent, Gabe: the a**hole photographer, Cherry Pie: the stripper with a heart of gold… who has the audacity to hate the Warrant song, and a slew of others add to this suspenseful funhouse of vivid detailed gritty city noir. Even if I don’t know some of the areas Richardson puts me in, I see it clearly. Kudos to that.

Somewhere near the beginning, Lucky says, “Plenty of Ugly in LA.” He wasn’t kidding- and that sentence really hit me as I waded through the last few chapters. By the end, I felt so strongly for some of the characters that for first time in awhile I got mad at the author for bringing on the feels and leaving me not knowing which way was up. Usually, I’m pretty understanding when it comes to character decision making- even if it ticks me off, but I found myself getting more attached to these characters than in previous recent reads. I forgive him, but damn.

That being said, I loved this book. LOVED it. I had been in such a reading funk lately that I was so glad to have Lucky pull me right out, cast me some side-eye from the driver’s seat of his (borrowed) crappy Crown Vic, take a swig of his Diet Coke/Mountain Dew mix and tell me to read faster. I can’t wait for the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 99 Percent Kill.

Finished Reading
August 17, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
October 6, 2015 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
November 2, 2015 –
40.0% "Jesus this kid is making the kind of bad decisions that make my big sister-anxiety spike." (Kindle Edition)
November 9, 2015 – Shelved
November 9, 2015 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)