Simona Bartolotta's Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

bookshelves: fantasy-and-co, in-english

"And you?" asked Kate. "Your brother is righteous, your sister is scattered. What does that make you?"
When August answered, the word was small, almost too quiet to hear. "Lost."

This is the fourth of Schwab's books that I read, and I think I finally realized this very incontrovertible truth about the universe, which I believe I summed up adequately enough in the following statement: It's Schwab's, it's good.

•First and foremost, as always, the writing. This marvellous, marvellous thing that is Victoria's writing. She takes storytelling and makes of it something modern and ancient at once: something old, tastefully dusty, elegantly worn; something new, shiny, fashionably casual and unaffected. It's balance, control, then fire and emotion. I do not how she never fails to find this happy medium. It's a state of grace. Bliss. Ink-and-paper-shaped holy spirit. I don't know. I know that it's perfect, I know that it's addictive, I know that it's flawless.

The main characters, Kate Harker and August Flynn, are particularly easy to empathize with, my basis for comparison being Kell and Lila from the Shades of Magic trilogy and Vctor and Eli from Vicious . Schwab's characters are always relatable, to a lesser or greater degree, but Kate and August appear to have something, a kind of vulnerability, I think, that makes them extremely open, exposed to the reader's eye, and thus to his heart. I was used to less decipherable personalities, more reserved minds, and although my favorite character of hers remains the frowning (and adorable) Kell, single-minded Kate and loyal August are so well-rounded I really have nothing to complain about.

The monsters. Suffice it to say this: (view spoiler).
I am sold.
This (big) detail swept me off my feet.
And just like that, even without mentioning the divided city, the system by which it's run and a million other things, the world building gets a five out of five.

•According to what Victoria herself stated, "books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA", which means that This Savage Song is my first YA written by her. (I know, I'll get The Archived sooner than soon.) I noticed the differences with the adult releases, and probably that's the reason why the book didn't reach a full five for me. I just think that books such as Vicious and the Shades have something that makes them superior, even though I am not one hundred percent sure it is due to the different target.

The ending I refuse to acknowledge because even though it's not a real cliffhanger I need to know what happens next. I needed it like yesterday. I think it made me a little hysterical. *internally screaming*

➽ The only reason the last star is missing is that Schwab spoiled me with her other books. I am a spoiled reader because of this woman and I have no regrets. I'll just need to hibernate until book 2 is out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

November 9, 2015 – Shelved
November 9, 2015 – Shelved as: wishlist
May 11, 2016 – Shelved as: wishlist
May 27, 2016 – Started Reading
May 27, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy-and-co
May 27, 2016 – Shelved as: in-english
May 31, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by TL (new)

TL congrats

Izzy You're so lucky!!! I hope you love it!

Emer (A Little Haze) Aww that's wonderful. I really hope you love it Simo :)))

message 4: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige  Bookdragon OH MY GOOOOOOD!

message 5: by Reyes (new) - added it

Reyes Awesome!! I hope you love it Simo! :)

Katerina Kondrenko I decided to wait for my buddy-pals. It's so sad to read smth that cool alone)

Simona Bartolotta Thank you all! I'm so excited. Our good BookGod seems to be particularly merciful towards me lately (after a period of one and two-star reads) so I am very very hopeful :D

@Kat I was too weak for that, I'm afraid! In my defense, I say that exams are taking a toll on me and this is my way of rewarding myself ahahah X°D
(Translate: me weak.)

message 8: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Ahhh I'm so jealous. Enjoy it, Simona!

Katerina Kondrenko Simona wrote: "Thank you all! I'm so excited. Our good BookGod seems to be particularly merciful towards me lately (after a period of one and two-star reads) so I am very very hopeful :D

@Kat I was too weak for ..."

To be quite honest, I've read a few first chapters... during times of my weakness)

Arantxa (TheRoomWhereItHappens) A Victoria Schwab's book that is good? Shocker, I have high expectations for this one because she's literally one of my favorite authors ever, she does no wrong!

message 11: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly THIS LOOKS SO GOOD!

message 12: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy amazing review, Simona! I knew it'd be good because it's Schwab and she never disappoints, but still, I'm so happy you liked it <3

message 13: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna La tua recensione mi fatto salire ancora di piú la voglia di leggere questo libro!! Non vedo assolutamente l'ora!

message 14: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha I NEED to join the Schwab bandwagon soon. ^^
Excellently reviewed, Simona! ♡

Simona Bartolotta Thank you all, my friends <3 I know, Victoria couldn't disappoint even if she wanted to. *.*

Laura P. Questa recensione é fantastica! Ti adoro e amo la Schwab. La perfezione assoluta non esiste ma molto spesso lei ci va vicina. (come fa?!). E concordo pienamente con quello che hai scritto riguardo alla sua scrittura. *.*

Annamaria Guarda, a me questo libro non è piaciuto tanto quanto è piaciuto a te ma la tua recensione è adorevole! Soprattutto quando descrivi il writing della Schwab! ♥