Camie's Reviews > Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

Furiously Happy by Jenny  Lawson

did not like it

The manically happy raccoon amongst scattered glitter on the cover is the best part of this book. I find very little humor in mental illness, even when it's offered up by someone who doesn't seem to mind using her chronic depression and crippling anxiety as a vehicle to what she says are ridiculous stories. I agree with her word ridiculous. I guess it's good she can enjoy her mental illness, I'm quite sure most others would not find this possibility very doable.
Is it wrong to feel this book might be insulting to people who are devastated by mental illness ? Jenny Lawson has been blessed with a family who seem to have learned to deal with her flaunted craziness. KUYH November Select - 1 star

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furiously Happy.

November 8, 2015 – Started Reading
November 8, 2015 – Shelved
November 17, 2015 –
page 40
November 30, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Camie Kick Up Your Heels - November
Funny anecdotal stories - I'll be reading this all month

message 2: by Fred (new)

Fred Forbes Sort of like "Anyone in your family suffer from mental illness?" "No, they all seem to enjoy it!"

Camie Yes, exactly Fred. This new type of humor where authors "tell all" is just not that appealing to me. This was an 2015 nominee in the Goodreads category humor. I have to admit looking down the list of nominees most of them do not look interesting . Looks like Mindy Kaling 's Why Not Me ? took the prize.

message 5: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson I read part of this and stopped pretty quickly. I found her annoying.

message 6: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson I also agree that she has been blessed with a family that is understanding. I don't and when I went through an eating disorder and panic attacks my family made it worse. I mean way worse.

B the BookAddict Feeling like you can heal mental illness with family etc is a huge mistake. It doesn't matter one tot is they love you, they cannot heal you, you need experts for that!

Agree with your summation, Cami. Mental illness is not ever something to joke about.

We've just had Mental Illness month here is Australia. Nothing to smile about here!

message 8: by Iris P (new)

Iris P Camie, as the daughter of a mother that has lived with Bipolar Disorder since age 18, I couldn't agree more with your comments...

B the BookAddict Jennifer, Iris, Camie, maybe the author will pick a 'better' subject next time to write about.

message 10: by Camie (new) - rated it 1 star

Camie One of my Bookclub's is reading this so I'm quite interested in the reviews. Anyone who knows me would agree my sense of humor is not a strong point.
I usually read all the monthly choices, but I admit to being "furiously happy" to be done with this book.

message 11: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict @Camie lol:)

message 12: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri Duckworth I definitely didn't gather that she 'enjoys' her mental illness, nor would I consider it insulting to anyone who deals with mental illness (I can't really say much in that area, this is just my assumption). To me, this was her unique and humorous way to cope with something that is extremely difficult for her, and often times debilitating. Through humor she has, in a sense, managed her darkness. She's right there struggling too, and she deals with it in her own way. She is also starting an open dialogue about mental illness, which I think anyone would agree is something that's often swept under the rug. Lawson might help me better understand those around me fighting through depression. This book of course is not for everyone, no book ever is. If you flat out don't like her writing style that's one thing, but I think it's unfair to put her down for something that helps her deal with her own struggles.

message 13: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick My family is, and has been, devastated by mental illnesses for several generations -- myself included. You've got to laugh at this shit or it'll kill you. I've been in the midst of a 6 month bout of crippling depression and this book (and Wellbutrin) have really helped me with it.

Leijette I have a hard time believing that the author of this comment has had any kind of direct experience empathizing with someone who has a chronic mental illness. I am a person who has lived with both serious depression and debilitating anxiety, and based on my own experience, I would never say that this book takes those issues lightly or makes them sound easy to deal with. Her message was about figuring out how she can live a good, happy life, despite and sometimes because of the mental illness she suffers from and the way it makes her see the world. It's about accepting that her illness is a part of her, and she needs to cope with it daily, but just as importantly - not let it destroy her chance at living the best life she can. Obviously there are different types of mental illness, some much more debilitating than others, and each individual's experience can vary widely from the one described here, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone with depression and anxiety issues who would not find something they could relate to in this book. And sometimes you have to just laugh about things, because nothing else will make them any better, so you might as well just laugh.

message 15: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Suggitt I am only part way through the book so I will withhold a review. However, it was recommended to me by my teenage niece who suffers from anxiety and depression. Rather than being offended, she was delighted to realize other people have issues with mental illness and can be silly, ridiculous and survive. If she found an ounce of comfort, hope, and humor in this book, then it is worth reading.

message 16: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Berry Boy are you terribly missing the point, lady.

message 17: by Camie (new) - rated it 1 star

Camie Oh my , I haven't even looked back at this since I wrote it. I only write these blurbs for myself to help my senior self remember what I've read. Contrary to what someone said above I'm a wife, mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, aunt, granddaughter, and retired nurse, and have plenty of experience with illness both physical and mental not that I generally talk about it in this forum. 46 people liked my review , these are probably my GR friends who know me and understand I don't mean to offend people personally by disliking any certain book.

Krysten Ervin I think you guys took it way out of context. You have your own opinion though, and if you choose to be offended by her telling her story, then that's totally up to you. I just don't think it was insulting to anybody, she wasn't belittling other people because they CAN'T find humor in their illness. She was trying to show that you CAN find humor in it. I just feel like you missed the entire point of the book.

message 19: by Camie (new) - rated it 1 star

Camie Oh no this is going around again !! When people read a book they have a right to be offended, unoffended, or simply indifferent to it altogether. The fact that this review just get recycled is interesting . I still reserve the right to have not liked it, though anyone who does like it , that's your right too. I've written my review, and you can write yours.

message 20: by Caroline (last edited Jun 11, 2016 05:34PM) (new)

Caroline People, please show some courtesy. There isn't a single book in this world that's universally loved. Coming into Camie's comments section to insult her--no matter how strongly you disagree with her--is, quite simply, rude and makes you look bad. If you have a problem with her opinion, go write your own review, or if you won't do that, at least stop reading negative reviews of this book if you just can't resist attacking a reviewer you disagree with.

message 21: by Camie (new) - rated it 1 star

Camie Thanks Caroline ! Apparently my being offended by this book has offended others who feel I have no right to be offended by a book but they apparently have every right to be offended by my comments.

message 22: by Caroline (new)

Caroline You're welcome, Camie. For the record, yours isn't the only one-star review of this I've read. Another GR friend of mine rated it the same and wrote a good review. These rude commenters your review is attracting need to cool it!

Aubrey As a person who has had a long struggle with mental illness, I don't think it is insulting or offensive to portray it through humor. I hope I'm never so bad off that I can't find the humor in anything. That being said, I find myself agreeing with camie. This book was simply incoherent, totally unrelatable for me. I'm glad if it was enjoyable or insightful for any one else who may or may not be struggling with mental illness.

Maggie Okay I'll chime in even though this is older but
I have disabling panic disorder, agoraphobia, depression and then a host of physical problems too. This book was a breath of fresh air. I always say if I can't find the laughter I'll just sit and cry. Laughter for me is a way to fight the depression and I laughed so so hard at this book.
But in one of those weird people who weird shit happens to. Or maybe it's me? Lol. Hey I can see
It not being someone's cup of tea but for me it was amazing perspective.

message 25: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Blue Completely agree with your review. And simply can't understand where all the hype is from.

message 26: by Camie (new) - rated it 1 star

Camie Lol, this is the review that won't die 😂

Taygus My mother has severe mental illness. BPD with schizo-affective episodes and BP.

To cope with the hell, we often have to laugh on good days.

If we didn't, there's nothing but misery and feeling bad.

A story, my mom with a severe back problems... tried to climb down a second floor window, during an episode...she couldn't understand why we wouldn't ket her.
She still jokes about feeling like spiderman and thought it would be easy.

It's not about enjoying mental illness...it's about living in spite of it.

Munch (BookWorm Mafia) I've come to Camie's defense. I was first hospitalized at the age of 12. I'm 40 years old now and in all of my years I've never felt like my mental illness is anything to laugh about and I can honestly say I have a great sense of humor. Inappropriate? Bring it on. I can laugh about most anything. But as someone with BPD (it's the worst it's ever been) my family has suffered greatly bcuz of it. I can't laugh at that. Maybe Lawson isn't as severe and lucky her if that's the case. I don't plan on reading her book, not bcuz she's made a career out of being able to joke about mental illness, I've chosen not to read it bcuz I've read other reviews that have said her stories sound so exaggerated as if she's trying too hard to sound "ridiculous". If I'm going to spend money on a book I'd prefer the stories be honest and true. Don't bother attacking me for my opinion. I won't care enough to respond. I just don't like seeing a group of people ganging up on someone for their opinion, regardless if I agree with it or not. I mean, isn't that what goodreads is for? To give reviews? If not, there are a lot of folks on here doing it wrong.

message 29: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I agree. I don't find anything funny about my mental illness. Maybe it is Jenny Lawson's way of coping.

Samara Francis I agree with your comments. I brought the book mainly because of the cover. couldn't finish the book.

message 31: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia This is HER way of dealing with it. Her humor, her perspective, her journey. Why are you insulted? Don't speak for the whole mental illness community.

message 32: by Ruchi (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruchi I agree with you, this book sucks. Struggled finishing it.