Jamie (Books and Ladders)'s Reviews > Saving Montgomery Sole

Saving Montgomery Sole by Mariko Tamaki

bookshelves: young-adult, readproud

Actual Rating: 3.5*

This was a quick and easy read and I really enjoyed it. I thought Monty was a really great character and super relatable. I really liked that she had a diverse friend group and that we got to see from her perspective all the things that were affecting them - slurs, people in general, religion, etc. etc. - because I feel like a lot of allies don't realize that instead of getting weighed down and burdened by these things, most LGBTQ+ people try to roll with the punches (sometimes quite literally).

I did, however, think that this was way too short. I wanted there to be a bit more development of the Eye and the Reverend -- or to delete one of those plot points. I felt like neither was given the right amount of attention and space to come to fruition and because of this they both fell flat.

But, the characters were FANTASTIC. I loved reading about them and their emotions became my emotions. I was laughing and crying with this one and could really get a feel for what the characters were thinking and why they were acting a certain way. I thought it was great to have Monty be the lead for this reason tbh. I would have liked much more of Naoki though as well! I think she is a really interesting character and we just scraped the surface of her character (spin-off?)

I really liked the character growth in this one and how that evolved but I think more time (and therefore more pages) in this one would have really helped. I really enjoyed Tamaki's writing style and definitely will be picking up more by her (I have read (YOU) SET ME ON FIRE and enjoyed that one). Plus, Canadians!

Read this as part of the #ReadProud Challenge.

Books and Ladders | Queen of the Bookshelves | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Montgomery Sole.

November 8, 2015 – Shelved